• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saltpeter

kgaddis

in our charcuterie book, we use 1 teaspoon of #2 salt for 5 pounds of sausage. #2 is used exclusively in items that will be dry-cured for days at above refrigeration temps.

DC Cure #1 is used for meat or sausages that will be smoked or in some way cooked after it's cured, such as bacon, smoked sausage, or corned beef.

(#2 contains NITRATE which converts over time to NITRITE which does the curing. Saltpeter is potassium nitrate and hasn't been used in the US for years, though it's still common in Europe)

Thanks Michael, Great book by the way. I have a few old books and they require saltpeter. I was just going to do what you recommended and see how it turned out.

It is nice to be in Seattle, as you know I can just run down to pioneer square and pick Armandino's brain a bit too. Just too lazy this week with the snow and ice.

Prague powder? DC cure? Could someone elucidate?

I understand they're spice mixes for curing, but are they in some way standardized internationally, or just a brand name?

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

they're brand names for the same product, sodium nitrite (#1) and, for dry-cured sausages, sodium nitrate (#2, which in effect is sodium nitrite with a tiny amount of nitrate added).

They are curing salts, not spice mixtures; they are dangerous if consumed in large quantities and so tinted pink, but in small quantites they prevent the growth of harmful bacterial, help the meat maintain a rosy hue, help prevent fat from becoming rancid and add a piquant flavor.

This site has the technical specifications

and explanation of the effect of nitrite on meat.

I have bought most of my cure supplies from this vendor.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett