• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1981 Cakebread Cellars

angelsfan

For my 21st birthday i just got a bottle of 1981 Cakebread Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon. I know nothing about wine but i do know that this is quite valuable but if anyone would approximately what a bottle of this would be worth i may be able to treat it with proper care. I could also use advice as to what to drink such a wine with. Im sorry im such a novice...i like good food plenty but this is my first experience with fine wine. Thanks!

Sorry to say, my guess is that it is over the hill. 1981 isn't really a collector's year for California Cab. As far as how much it's worth - a quick internet search didn't show up any. Try calling Cakebread, and ask to speak with the tasting room manager, see what they say.

My suggestion - celebrate your birthday at Gramercy Tavern (or lunch at Bouley) and bring this bottle and another one for backup in case this isn't good. If it works out, you'll have an event and wine to remember. If not, the food will carry the day.

No point in holding this one. Either sell it or drink it.

beachfan