• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colombo d'epinards

John DePaula

When I lived in Paris, I enjoyed very much a neighborhood restaurant in the 14th, C'est Mon Plaisir. They had a wonderful dish called Gambas roti avec Colombo d'epinards (flame roasted shrimp set atop a creamy fresh spinach side dish).

Would someone here be able to lead me to a good recipe for Colombo d'epinards?

Thanks.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Was that spinach dish at all reminiscent of a curry? In Matinique, a dish labeled "columbo," would invariably be in a curry sauce, often a creamed curry sauce, presumably in honor of the Sri Lankan city. I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen the term "columbo" on a metropolitain menu and I'm drawing a blanc.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Was that spinach dish at all reminiscent of a curry? In Matinique, a dish labeled "columbo," would invariably be in a curry sauce, often a creamed curry sauce, presumably in honor of the Sri Lankan city. I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen the term "columbo" on a metropolitain menu and I'm drawing a blanc.

Yes, I think you're correct. It was somewhat like a curry. I know that 'colombo' is like curry powder. That is to say that it's a mixture of spices. In this case, the spices are ginger, coriander, anise, cumin and cloves. Others? But just adding these spices to sautéed spinach doesn't seem to do the job. Any ideas?

Could it be an addition of coconut milk that makes it work? Hmmm...

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Colombo is not an Indian dish, it is a family of Guadeloupean dishes based on colombo powder (reminiscent of, but not identical to, curry powder) and marinated meat, poultry or fish. The basic colombo is made with cabri (kid) or pork. Other versions are chicken, fish, etc.

Coconut milk is never used; nor is paneer. Traditional additions are unpeeled vegetables and a green mango, and sometimes a raw chopped apple in the early stage of cooking.

The composition of colombo powder varies according to families, but as a rule it is milder and greener than curry powders.

A colombo is a simple affair and I suppose your spinach colombo was made like any other colombo: first fry chopped onions, garlic and cives (scallions) in oil, add washed and tailed spinach, stir for a minute and as soon as spinach begins to wilt add colombo powder and a bit of salt. Depending on the state of the spinach, add or don't add water, cover and let the spinach stew until melted and tender, stirring often.

Mmm Colombo! Friends have brought me colombo powder from Martinique and also from the isle of Reunion, and there are tons of different kinds, as well as ways to use it, shrimp and spinach sounds really delicious. You can also prepare the spinach and serve it with other seafood.

Some people like to add the colombo to the sizzling onions and shallots, before fresh spinach is added, to toast it a bit and bring the flavor out. Addition of papaya is also very good, before the spinach which would be your last addition.

If you don't have access to colombo powder, you can patch up an imitation as best you can with with:

1 tsp Paprika, 1/2 t. ground fenugrek, 1 tsp ground mild dried pepper such as anaheim, 1/2 to 1 t. ground dried hot pepper such as chipotle (to taste), 1 t. dried oregano. Some people like to add cumin as well. Instead of anise, you might add Fresh dill to the original saute in addition to the spices.

When you make this spinach side for seafood, you might want to brighten it just before serving with a squeeze from a lime.

Have fun!