• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines for a rehearsal dinner...

Megan Blocker

I am co-hosting a rehearsal dinner for my mother's wedding on the Friday after Thanksgiving. For the food, it looks like we're going for a sort of "incredibly adulterated southwestern meets seafood" theme - the wedding is in Florida (where my mom's parents live), and the groom is from Texas.

So, here's the menu! Any thoughts on pairing? I don't know that we'll be able to do different wines with each course, so things that will be generally good would be helpful. Also, I think we are aiming for wines that would be around $15-25/bottle.

Passed Hors d'Ouevres:

- Smoked chicken and corn fritters

- Ancho-rubbed brisket crostados

- Shrimp cocktail

- Crudites

- Artichoke and spinach dip

Salad:

- Baby greens with crumbled bleu cheese, candied walnuts and an asparagus vinaigrette

Main:

- Jumbo lump crab cake and Bourbon-glazed pork medallions with sauteed string beans and a potato gratin

Dessert:

- "Killer" chocolate cake

- Petits fours

Thoughts? :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Questions like this tend to bring out my jaded side. Usually, the first part of me wants to respond with something like "does it really matter?" And I have that response for two reasons -- 1) your guests are there for the wedding event, not the wine; and 2) at most wedding receptions I've ever been to, people seem to be glad to get anything alcoholic to drink for free.

But I won't give into my dark side here. The main thing you want -- especially if you'll be limited to one label, two at the most -- is something that won't offend your guests perceptions or their palates. Note, this isn't the same as something they will like. Your wine just has to be something that they can live with, and they have to have a choice of white and red.

Whites in the price range:

Champalou Vouvray

Trimbach Riesling

Fairhill Downs Sauvignon Blanc

Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis

But you'll have guests who think that all white wine should be Chardonnay. Give 'em a Macon from Latour.

Reds in the price range:

My choice would be just about any good Cotes-du-Rhone, but others include:

Saintsbury Pinot Noir

Moris Farms Morellino di Scansano

Remelluri Rioja

And for those who think that all red wine should be Merlot, Woodward Canyon is probably at the top of your range.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Champagne (or a sparkler like Cava), It is a wedding,

Not sure anything would stand up to Blue cheese, Crab cakes AND Bourbon glazed pork. Not sure I would either!

Maybe a Gewurztraminer (e.g. Columbia Valley) for a white or a hefty Zin, like Ridge Geyserville 2002 for a red.

Do you want a sweet wine with the desert as well, or just serve Port, brandy and liquer after?

I wouldn't disagree with any of Brad's suggestions.

For whites--I would add " Basa" a wine from Spain--Blend of sauvignon Blanc and I believe albarino.

I have yet to meet anyone (serious drinker to casual) who hasn't liked this wine.

It is crisp and dry good as an aperitif and with enough body and flavor for most foods.

best part--It is going for $9-$10/bottle here in NYC currently.

Might leave you a bit more for a better quality Red. --maybe that Woodward Canyon Brad mentioned.

For whites--I would add " Basa" a  wine from Spain--Blend of sauvignon Blanc and I believe albarino.

Sauvignon Blanc, Verdejo, and Viura (for those keeping score). And it's a great crowd pleaser under $10.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Champagne (or a sparkler like Cava), It is a wedding

Was going to make a similar suggestion--prosecco! Bubbly goes well with EVERYTHING. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Questions like this tend to bring out my jaded side.  Usually, the first part of me wants to respond with something like "does it really matter?"  And I have that response for two reasons -- 1) your guests are there for the wedding event, not the wine; and 2) at most wedding receptions I've ever been to, people seem to be glad to get anything alcoholic to drink for free.

They may not care, but I sure do! :laugh:

Not sure anything would stand up to Blue cheese, Crab cakes AND Bourbon glazed pork. Not sure I would either!

:laugh: I know, I know. This menu is a camel - a horse built by committee. And that's all I'll say. I'm trying my best to be diplomatic (and enthusiastic) about the whooooole thing.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!!!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

For whites--I would add " Basa" a  wine from Spain--Blend of sauvignon Blanc and I believe albarino.

Sauvignon Blanc, Verdejo, and Viura (for those keeping score). And it's a great crowd pleaser under $10.

Thanks Brad!

I too like Remelluri Rioja I have also been enjoying the 2001 Muga Riserva (it is a bit less expensive than the Remelluri).

Sparkling is a good recommendation--Cava and also a good Prosecco!

Thanks Brad!

I too like Remelluri Rioja I have also been enjoying the 2001 Muga Riserva (it is a bit less expensive than the Remelluri).

Sparkling is a good recommendation--Cava and also a good Prosecco!

Yes, sparkling may have to make an appearance! As Brad noted, it's a wedding - plus, I'm a bonafide sparkling wine addict. And, as noted above, this is all about what I want, dammit! :wink:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Yes, sparkling may have to make an appearance!  As Brad noted, it's a wedding - plus, I'm a bonafide sparkling wine addict.  And, as noted above, this is all about what I want, dammit!  :wink:

jackal10 made the comment, FWIW.

For bubbles in the price range (in fact, they're all under $15) I'll start another list:

J. Laurens Cremant de Limoux Brut Blanc de Blancs

Charles Baur Cremant d'Alsace Brut

Francois Pinon Vouvray Petillant Brut

Louis Bouillot “Perle d’Aurore” Cremant de Bourgogne Brut Rosé

And a Bugey Cerdon for the kiddies :wink: (kidding, kidding)