• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scalini Fedeli

mikep

I was just wondering why there is so little mention of what I consider one of the best restaurants in New Jersey.Has anyone been there recently.I will be there on Saturday and was wondering if anyone had any any recomendations on food and wine pairings.

Mike

I've only been for lunch, but I generally enjoyed my experience. On par with the best Italian in the city, certainly not, but not a bad place.

I have heard, from friends on multiple occasions, of several disappointing meals there. It seems that service isn't up to par with the food. Glaring service mistakes put a damper on what was should have been an enjoyable meal.

I'd be curious to hear what you think when you come back.

Is it still BYO?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

We havent been in a few years. Food was good, service was lousy. I wouldn't go back. I never understood why people were so positive about this place...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

we went there several years ago. I had a $100 gift certificate which I left home. I asked them if they could process my credit card for the bill and give me a credit if I brought in the gift certificate the next day. They said no. Haven't been back. It was good, but a little too formal and pretentious for our taste.

I think that Il Mondo Vechhio is just as good and less stuffy, less expensive. It might have the same ownership as S.F.

Just came home from dinner at Scalini.Honestly,after reading the posts on this thread,I was expecting the worst.Our dinner was absolutely wonderful.The service was great.The food was even better.More details tommorrow after I get some sleep.Still what I consider the best italian restaurant in the area along with Fascino.

Mike