• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Nola

brescd01

I went a little over a year ago, and it was OK. I have no distinct memories of it, which is a bad sign... I do recall it being perfectly acceptable food, but nothing particularly exciting or authentic.

I had fond memories of the mint juleps they used to serve when they were on the 300 block of South Street, so I ordered one for old time's sake and got some weird drink with no mint in it. When I asked about it, I was told that they had run out of fresh mint, so they just made it with creme de menthe. I think that says about all you need to know.

Carmine's in Narberth is better.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

In its heyday, Cafe Nola was great. That being said, its heyday was over a decade ago.

Carmine's in Narberth is the only decent Cajun food to be had in the area that I'm aware of. There is a place called Melange Cafe in Cherry Hill that gets mixed reviews. It's a Cajun/Italian fusion restaurant, whatever that means. :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For real Cajun come to the town of Columbia in Lancaster county and eat at Prudhommes Lost Cajun Kitchen. The owner and chef is David Prudhomme who is the nephew of the famous Paul. Wonderful Cajun cooking. Really, the best and most authentic to be found. Columbia is located in western Lancaster County right along the Susquehanna River. Well worth the trip to eat wonderful food

For Jambalaya I'm quite happy at Grace Tavern at Grays Ferry and South around 23rd Street.

But any cajun place with the name Prudhommes in it is worth checking out. What sort of drive from Philadelphia are we talking, Mike?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

But any cajun place with the name Prudhommes in it is worth checking out. What sort of drive from Philadelphia are we talking, Mike?

It is just a fifteen minute ride from Lancaster to Columbia. Depending on time of day it is a 90 minute to two hour trip from my place to Center City. Even less if I drive fast. Prudhommes is the sort of place that is worth the trip. Nothing fancy, but good food indeed.

But any cajun place with the name Prudhommes in it is worth checking out.  What sort of drive from Philadelphia are we talking, Mike?

I would be shocked if it is worth a 90 min. drive, but my mother-in-law lives in Columbia so I will probably try it next time I am out there.

Now, if you happen to be a watch collector, it might be worthwhile to visit the Watch Museum in Columbia and have lunch at "Prudhommes".