• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lake Ariel area

lancastermike

My wife and I have been invited to spend next weekend with friends in Lake Ariel at their house in the resort at Lake Ariel. Anyone have any ideas about eating aroud there? I know it is not really far from Scranton so that would be fine with us. I have no idea at all about this area. Is this close to the pizza places I have heard talk about?

I am guessing the pizza you heard about is Old Forge pizza, from one of the many ethnic municipalities between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. I don't know how far you are willing to drive but, from my personal taste alone, Old Forge pizza would not be worth the drive. Those who swear by the style--kind of puffy and bland to me--will strongly disagree, no doubt.

Notwithstanding my opinion on the pizza, I am a great fan of Arcaro and Genell in Old Forge which, in addition to making pizza, also has an interesting menu of well-prepared old-style Italian dishes. There aren't many places that offer tripe sauce for the pasta but this place is one of them. The atmosphere is that of a long established neighborhood bar where everybody is family and the waitress will remind you of your favorite aunt.

Lake Ariel is also home to the original Grotto Pizza, now a popular chain in and around Delaware, oddly enough. I have always found the original Lake Ariel version to be the best Grotto pizza. I grew up very near Old Forge, and the pizza there is both idiosyncratic and delicious; in structure it is similar to Sicilian style, but with a light airy crust and a slightly oniony red sauce. Aracaro & Genell's has the best version of the pizza style to my taste, so it is a good appetizer before thier very good old style Italina menu. Other exceptional version of OF pizza are Ghigarelli's, Revello's and Maxie's in adjacent Taylor, PA.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Lake Ariel is also home to the original Grotto Pizza, now a popular chain in and around Delaware, oddly enough.  I have always found the original Lake Ariel version to be the best Grotto pizza.  I grew up very near Old Forge, and the pizza there is both idiosyncratic and delicious; in structure it is similar to Sicilian style, but with a light airy crust and a slightly oniony red sauce.  Aracaro & Genell's has the best version of the pizza style to my taste, so it is a good appetizer before thier very good old style Italina menu.  Other exceptional version of OF pizza are Ghigarelli's, Revello's and Maxie's in adjacent Taylor, PA.

Right area, wrong lake. The original Grotto is at Harvey's Lake, where I caught many a fish as a kid. From Grotto's website:

Grotto Pizza & the Grand Slam Sports Bar

Rte. 415 • Harveys Lake, Pennsylvania

(570) 639-FAST (3278)

Description: This is where the legendary taste was introduced to the world in 1953.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Lake Ariel is also home to the original Grotto Pizza, now a popular chain in and around Delaware, oddly enough.  I have always found the original Lake Ariel version to be the best Grotto pizza.  I grew up very near Old Forge, and the pizza there is both idiosyncratic and delicious; in structure it is similar to Sicilian style, but with a light airy crust and a slightly oniony red sauce.  Aracaro & Genell's has the best version of the pizza style to my taste, so it is a good appetizer before thier very good old style Italina menu.  Other exceptional version of OF pizza are Ghigarelli's, Revello's and Maxie's in adjacent Taylor, PA.

Right area, wrong lake. The original Grotto is at Harvey's Lake, where I caught many a fish as a kid. From Grotto's website:

Grotto Pizza & the Grand Slam Sports Bar

Rte. 415 • Harveys Lake, Pennsylvania

(570) 639-FAST (3278)

Description: This is where the legendary taste was introduced to the world in 1953.

Ehh, when you've seen one lake up there, you've seen em all. I always get them confused. My bad.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"