• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hibiscus - Ludlow

Just to say thanks to everyone who advised me on Dinham Hall and Hibiscus, we went last week and had a fantastic time. the hotel is perfect in just about everyway, and we'll be back soon, next time we go to hibiscus. Which, if you've never been, is a truely sublime experience. from the welcome the moment we went through the door, to the personalised 'Gilberts Menu Surprise' we were given as we left, everything was perfect.

The food never failed to impress, the service was perfect, Claude came out to see us 3 or 4 times, and was humorous, charming and self deprecating, as well as being an amazing chef, and so young - bastard! his wife (who's name I forget, sorry!) was the perfect host. We'll be back, sooner rather than later. We both agreed it was the best meal we'd ever eaten, and for a very reasonable £65 a head for the Menu Surprise.

Seldom have I parted with £220 with such a warm glow inside me, that night all was well with the world.

I must say though that the Food Festival disappointed slightly, the shops and butchers in

Ludlow are good enough that none of the stalls seemed to be offering anything that different. I did buy a leg of Mutton though, which was very good. There's a very good new wine merchants opened there too, which anyone visiting should check out.

When, in Hibiscus, I mentioned egullet, Bapis name was mentioned by just about everyone!

I do have the menu on my PC, but I'm not sure it would be politic to post it due to the 'surprise' nature of the menu. Don't want to upset claude, given that we're going back soon.

christ, i'm feeling like columbo now, but oh, just one more thing.

whoever recommended the handmade scotch egg company, thank you!

we bought 6, and sara and i stopped off in various pretty parts of the county as we drove home and eat an egg in each place, the best was one made with haggis eaten on the top of the long mynd :wink:

Edited by fisherman (log)

christ, i'm feeling like columbo now, but oh, just one more thing.

whoever recommended the handmade scotch egg company, thank you!

we bought 6, and sara and i stopped off in various pretty parts of the county as we drove home and eat an egg in each place, the best was one made with haggis eaten on the top of the long mynd :wink:

I think you'll find that was me Sir. :smile: And the price for such information will be only a modest pint :raz:

Glad you enjoyed it so much, but don't worry about posting details of the menu- I am sure that Claude wont mind as most dishes are taken from the a la carte. We are back there in November, so I would appreciate some comments to whet my appetite. Incidentally, I know it's slightly out of season, or it will be by the time we get there- but if Claude and Claire are reading this -a word for you- Lobster please! :smile: Cheeky bugger that I am - well there is no harm in trying is there. Failing that, langoustines will be fine. :smile:

Jon- where about is the new wine merchants you wrote of please?

well here it is, read it and weep.....

The Gilberts Menu Surprise – 8th September 2005

Chilled Water Melon Soda, Pineapple, Tomato & Bitter Olive Oil

Tartare of Garden Peas, Pistachio & White Peach, Veloute of Pea & Mint

Carpaccio of Hand Dived Scottish Scallops, Black Radish, Almond Oil Vinaigrette,

Shavings of Autumn Truffle

Fine Tart of Beetroot and Orange, Iced Feta Cheese, Scottish Girolle Mushrooms

Chateau Carbon d’Artigues Graves 2000

Confit of Cornish Skate, Turnip & Vanilla Puree, Roast Local Figs

Fleurie La Madone 2003 Domaine Chaintreuil

Roast Scottish Langoustine Tails, Peach Puree & Confit, Froth of Peanut Butter

Triennes Viognier Ste Fleur 2004

Crispy Galette of Pigs Trotters, Tartare of Spanish Gambas Prawns, Lemon Tomato, Rosewater Jus

Fleurie La Madone 2003 Domaine Chaintreuil

Savoury Ice Cream of Foie Gras, Warm Emulsion of Brioche, Balsamic Vinegar Caramel

Roast Scottish Grouse, Flat Parsley Puree, Smoked Sweetcorn Salad & Pancake,

Truffled Mash

Simon Hackett Foggo Road Cabernet Sauvignon 1998

Fine English Cheese, Melon & Mango Chutney

Salad of Strawberries, Lovage Jelly, Black Pepper Cream

Iced Sweet Olive Oil Parfait, Caramelised Chickpeas

Coconut Foam, Cep Mushroom Cream, Apricot Granite

Whimberry & Lemon Marshmallow, Smoked Sugar Fudge

Pacherenc du Vic Bilh Moulleux, Chapelle Lenclos 1999

the wine werchant is in the main square, opposite ye olde museum, and next to the posh chocolate shop

• 2 months later...

We had another weekend in Ludlow again a few weeks back and I am afraid that I simply haven’t had the time to finish the write up I started back in November. We had two consecutive lunches there the first of which was a Degusutation. Quite brave really as we took the 10 month old along with us for what turned out to be a rather long lunch. Our attempts at keeping Hugo quiet were thankfully vitiated by Claude popping back out with umpteen fresh Goujeres for him; which he gladly devoured. Of the many highlights – I especially loved the Agnlotti of Buttercup Pumpkin, Sweet & Sour Beetroot and Shavings of White truffle. Mmmm, that truffle along with the sweet bundles of pumpkin. Simply delicious. Another first was having Claude’s team lightly poach a Cornish Oyster which was served with a Eucalyptus Froth and an Artichoke Tuile. This was served with a Manzanilla”La Gitana” Hidalgo- which brought out the ozoney flavour of the oyster. (Incidentally – the new chap Simon whose forte is the wine – is a welcome addition to complement the team of Claire and my favourite Stockfordian Sally.

I also adored the Roast mallard with Black Grape Confit and Parsley Root Puree with a swirl of Sweet Potato and Saffron. A sensible portion of rare, but fabulously tender duck, with spot on, yet unusual accompaniments. Not quite sure how he manages this systematically, but Claude seems to steer a sensible path away from the fashionable vagaries of “Molecular Gastronomy”, but still combine eclectic ingredients intelligently. The bloody show-off.

Other news- The new Wine merchants- Bentleys- next to the Chocolate shop in the Market square is rather good, and is something that Ludlow has badly needed for some time.

My previous comment about The Charlton Arms from before fisherman went to this year’s Food Festival has come true. I wrote that it was a bit tired but that the fabulous location by the river was crying out for re-development. It transpires that the owner of the Church Inn has taken it over, and his plans to make the most out of the place have already started.

The Bosi’s have also expanded their empire and have taken over the Bell Inn in Yarpole- which is serving traditional British fare – but properly done. Didn’t get a chance to try it this time – but we will do in March. Who’d take over a pub – eh Gary? :wink:

It was also excellent to see Shaun, who was on fine form when popped in for a “state” visit during our second meal on Friday.