• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tamale festival in Indio

andiesenji

Just in case some of you folks are going to be in the area in early December, the Tamale festival in Indio is scheduled for December 3 - 4.

It is a fun event.

The weather in this area, a few miles from Palm Springs, is usually very nice at this time of the year.

Here are some highlights.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

thanks for posting this, andiesenji. it might be just the nudge i need. i have been meaning to get down there for the past few years, but always find out to late to schedule...where's my calendar?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 2 years later...

I like planners who make it easy:

"always the first weekend in December".

Excellent.

Thank you very much for the link!

Now to check the concert and rehearsal schedule because I aint driving no 3-year old that far without adult company, no way no ma'am.

The 3-year old did eat a first tamale last night and seemed quite pleased with the experience. And Indio is always a hoot. Love the date shops.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 2 months later...

I just finished Day #1 of the festival (there will probably not be a Day #2 for us - we're pretty tamaled out).

We drove in from NM in rain the entire way (very unusual) and so we were very stressed as we entered the valley. This was my first time in the Palm Springs area and I'm not so impressed, but we came because my mom loves tamales, and my spouse has never had one he liked. Overall, the event was fun and worth the few hours we spent there.

It started with a fun and colorful parade

gallery_41282_4708_33098.jpg

Then the gorging proceeded. I decided after eating 17 tamales that I liked it when they opened and sauced it for me:

gallery_41282_4708_18301.jpg

And I decided that tamales are not the most photogenic creatures no matter how you stack them:

gallery_41282_4708_15124.jpg

Okay, on to the serious stuff. First, we never could get a tamal from Grandma Lupe's. Her line was always no less than a 45 minute wait:

gallery_41282_4708_6557.jpg

But we did get the winning tamale:

gallery_41282_4708_2707.jpg

Which we decided it won because of the amount of grease:

gallery_41282_4708_47660.jpg

It was just okay.

Sweet corn was one of our favorites:

gallery_41282_4708_12867.jpg

The vast majority were traditional varieties, but a few had unique ones:

gallery_41282_4708_5976.jpg

This is the blue corn with chicken, ginger, mango and habanero. It was good.

gallery_41282_4708_24377.jpg

After about 12 I started on the sweet ones. First was an award winning strawberry tamal. We all agreed that this was disgusting and tasted like Nestly Strawberry Quick with lumps.

gallery_41282_4708_30749.jpg

But then we had this strawberry one which was great. I think they used brown sugar in their masa:

gallery_41282_4708_5646.jpg

This Chocolate Raspberry was as good as it looks...which wasn't saying much:

gallery_41282_4708_49690.jpg

And finally a pineapple, raisin which was a bit doughy but very nice:

gallery_41282_4708_13639.jpg

Don't take my critiques too harshly - we had a lot of fun and would recommend this event.