• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris: 11th?

Freckles

Hey, everyone. As part of my "eat our way through every arr. of Paris" girls' group, I'm supposed to organize dinner for 4 women in the 11th next week. Can you suggest any place that's not too expensive (say, main courses at 25 Euros or less) and not at all touristy? Warm and friendly atmosphere? Pudlo raved about l'Ecailler du Bistrot in 2004; is it still wonderful? thanks

hi,

you might try "Le temps au temps" ( 01 43 79 63 40) and " le paul bert" (01 43 72 24 01) on rue paul bert. both are 2 very good bistrots ( about 30€ for a 3 courses meal).

other style but I recently dicsovered a very good senegalese restaurant "Waly-Fay"( 01 40 24 17 79) 6 rue godefroy cavaignac

Let Eat Be

Food, Wine & other Delights

Hi Freckles,

There are so many great choices in the 11th.

If you could wait a week I would suggest Le Sot y Laisse. The food is very good and the service was wonderful each time I went. But they are closed until the first week of Sept.

If you haven’t been to Le Temps au Temps, that would be a good choice. The menu (3 courses) is only 25 € if I remember correctly and the food was amazing for the prices

I tried La Muse Vin last week, a wine store/bistro which has interesting wines, good food, and a fun atmosphere.

Le Refectoire—trendy, innovative food, not really the atmosphere that you’re looking for though.

You could try Le Villaret for us, since there have been so many mixed reviews here. It’s the most expensive on this list.

Le C’Amelot—no choice, but wonderful

Astier—a bargain, good food. Amazing cheese tray.

I haven’t tried Le Vieux Chêne or l'Ecailler du Bistrot , but they are both on my list of places to try.

Edited by Felice (log)

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Hi Freckles,

There are so many great choices in the 11th.

If you could wait a week I would suggest Le Sot y Laisse.  The food is very good and the service was wonderful each time I went.  But they are closed until the first week of Sept.

If you haven’t been to Le Temps au Temps, that would be a good choice.  The menu (3 courses) is only 25 € if I remember correctly and the food was amazing for the prices

I tried La Muse Vin last week, a wine store/bistro which has interesting wines, good food, and a fun atmosphere.

Le Refectoire—trendy, innovative food, not really the atmosphere that you’re looking for though.

You could try Le Villaret for us, since there have been so many mixed reviews here.  It’s the most expensive on this list. 

Le C’Amelot—no choice, but wonderful

Astier—a bargain, good food.  Amazing cheese tray.

I haven’t tried Le Vieux Chêne or l'Ecailler du Bistrot  , but they are both on my list of places to try.

Felice has really hit them all. I'd add that the Ecalier du Bistrot has fantastic Utah beach oysters and is the offshoot of Paul Bert, which is why it's l'Ecalier du..... I think it's tough to choose among Le Sot y Laisse, Le Temps au Temps, + Le Vieux Chêne, all are pretty new and small and good. There are also the older places Les Jumeaux, le C’Amelot + Repaire de Cartouche. I've said before the 11th is where it is. I don't think you can go wrong.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

You could add Chez Ramulaud to the list as well. I have a friend who loves it, but it's another one I have yet to try. I know it's been talked about here though.

And Les Amognes seemed to get very good reviews a few years back but I haven't heard anything about it in some time.

Sorry, now you have too many choices :unsure:

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

You could add Chez Ramulaud to the list as well.  I have a friend who loves it, but it's another one I have yet to try.  I know it's been talked about here though.

And Les Amognes seemed to get very good reviews a few years back but I haven't heard anything about it in some time. 

Sorry, now you have too many choices  :unsure:

Regarding Chez Ramulaud , I ate there in 2001 shortly after it opened (it had three hearts in Figaroscope) and altho it had good products, the preparation was lacking.

At Les Amognes I had an experience where my plat (brains) was bad but everything else for 4 was OK to good; repeat visit mixed picture again.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I liked les Amognes when chef Thierry Coué was there -- he left a year or two ago for le Vin de Zinc, on rue Oberkampf. I found the new chef's cooking quite poor. As far as all the other places are concerned, Felice and John Talbott already said everything. I'll just add that l'Ecailler du Bistrot, the Bistrot Paul bert and the Temps au Temps are closed for the moment. I went to la Muse vin last wednesday, just for a glass of white: the place was packed! It's not too expensive (maybe 30 to 35 euros wine included) and food's not too bad. Le Villaret might be closed as well: I went for dinner in july, it was really great (though a bit expensive maybe), and I especially loved the wine list. Don't forget to check the list they call "medicaments du jour" (today's medecine), with some unexpensive bottles. And Freckles, if you want a beautiful bistrot, do try Le Vieux Chêne -- but I don't know whether they're open or not on august 30th (dial 01 43 71 67 69): food and wine more than OK, 35 to 38 euros. Have fun!

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

The Muse Vin was great! I enjoyed it enormously. The food was good but not exceptional: I had a salad with some small squid to start, followed by a langoustine and potato dish for the main course. No dessert. We followed the server's suggestions for wine -- what a selection this place has! We started with a wine on tap (!) which was lightly carbonated. Didn't love it. Followed by a scrumptious Anjou. The atmosphere was the best -- fairly small and busy and fun. Service was a bit slow but eh... when you're having such a good time, who cares?

Okay.  Have the reservation for La Muse Vin at 8PM tonight.  Will let you know how it goes...  Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

• 2 months later...

Hi Freckles,

Just wondering about your "eat your way through paris" girls group. If you are living here and looking for a couple more cool foody girls who speak english, I'd love to join you with my friend. I'm a NYer living in Paris who loves food!

PS - Also try le bistrot Paul Bert - went there last night and was thinking it would be great for a girls night out!

Zoe (zadlersberg@yahoo.com)