• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Iceberg Lettuce Wedge

fifi

. . . Brutalizing lettuce and putting it in that green tupperware container with the green spiky thing.  I wonder if you can still buy those?. . .

OMG! We still have one of those and it's in use at this very moment. Does the spikey thing actually do anything? :biggrin:

I don't know if you can still buy them.

=R=

I have one of those that came from my grandmother's house. We use it all the time. She had lots of cool plastic stuff that all seemed to be dated around the early to mid sixties, meaning that she kind of collected new stuff as her grandchildren were being born, because unlike my mother's mother, she couldn't cook for love or money (though she could bake like a French guy and made all kinds of great things with sugar). There is this really cool cylindrical Minute Made brand juice thing that probably came with a coupon. I love that thing. I saw one on eBay for an insane $40 a while back.

We don't eat thousand island much, but I remember that as being the first dressing that I ever liked. We do make homemade green goddess occasionally and I really like it. In fact, green goddess on cabbage makes an interesting slaw type salad.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...