• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tofino

canadian-eh

What's the labour pool like up there?

For the higher end places is it difficult finding managers and servers who know wines well and have lots of experience?

Labour pool is limited generally, but our night serving team is very experienced, and I believe we have 4-5 sommeliers on staff. Evening servers don't leave here as frequently as other positions due to a busy winter crowd (we still run about 70% occupancy throughout the winter), and because of menu pricing and wine selection average check pricing is about $85-90pp.

Always need room service, private bar staff (because of the experience level of our evening staff, most day staff have been evening staff at other decent restaurants around BC).

Otherwise its the usual, young staff that feel Tofino is perfect until they tire of the lack of fast food (thank god none here), lack of malls and decide to head back to their version of 'civilization'. Being a 40 something guy, I don't need or even think of those things, but it is something to consider for young staff thinking of heading this way..

As for managers, just about everyone on our senior management team has come through the Front Office team (very highly trained), including Chef Concierge, Concierge, Front Office Manager, Accountant, Group Services, Human Resources, Spa Manager, Restaurant Manager, Director of Operations - you see what I mean - this is definitely a property that promotes from within whenever able.

Chris

For the higher end places is it difficult finding managers and servers who know wines well and have lots of experience?

yes... the good ones become a concierge

at least that is/was the case of those with the "gift of the gab" like our Chris/Tofino

Nice to hear from you Chris

yes... the good ones become a concierge

at least that is/was the case of those with the "gift of the gab" like our Chris/Tofino

Nice to hear from you Chris

Hey Bob, Happy New Year to you!! SOBO opens next week, can't wait - you would have liked all our storms in the last week - 800mm of rain!!

Chris

Wow, let the floodgates open!

Thanks for the good info from all, and the great seasonal details from tofino.

I think we'll research the possibilities a little more, make a couple of reservations, and play the rest by ear when we arrive. It sounds like we will be happy eating in the rain at the taco truck for a couple of meals. Overall, there seem to be much better eating possibilities than I realized.

If the floodgates open on our heads, so much the better. I agree with tofino that about the weather. If we didn't want rain on our vacation, we'd be in a different locale! Maybe that's why we go on overnight hikes in the rainforest in December, or plan NW pacific coast trips in the middle of winter. Ahhh....

We'll be in town at the end of February, will probably check in with tofino when we arrive to say hi and chat briefly for the 'latest', and will report back here on our meals.

Stay dry in the wet now, everyone....

New update on some big happenings in Tofino!

SOBO has just announced that they will no longer be located in the Beaches parking lot. They have taken over the old location of Cafe Pamplona in the Tofino Botanical Gardens and will be serving lunch from the truck outside of the restaurant but with the ability to have their customers dine in the Gardens, or head inside and have a beer/wine in their licenced dining room. Rick Moore the previous owner/chef of Cafe Pamplona will be staying with the operation in an as yet not confirmed role (I think I know what is going on, but prefer to err on the side of caution until I can confirm the details). To say this is exciting would be an understatement - Cafe Pamplona has always been my favorite spot in Tofino, and though I am sad to see it 'officially' change hands - the partnership of Lisa and Artie Ahier with Rick Moore and all of their amazing staff can only be the start of a fabulous ride. See you soon!!!

That is very "interesting"...assuming an Arte Johnson pose behind a potted [plastic not BC bud] plant of "Rowan and Martin's Laugh In" fame...SOBO and Cafe Pamplona.

Although I have enjoyed Lisa's "Killer" fish tacos....despite a definite aversion to cilantro...you either hate it or love it...at the Long Beach Lodge and then SOBO, most of her fare never "worked" for us.

However, Cafe Pamplona on the other hand has always been a good bet. Great food, usually interesting wine list and art. I think Bjorn the carver who had some of his work on the walls...long time Tofino resident....father used to be the lighthouse keeper...was at the Wick maybe before your time Chris. Really nice guy who knew the local history.

Darn, maybe we'll have to come out in June after all.

If not, see you for sure in the Fall...keep the updates coming.

As a committed fan of Lisa and Artie's I am thrilled to hear that indulging myself in their wonderful food no longer means I also have to brave the elements. The only saddness is that I can no longer stop at the Chocolate shop on our way out of the parking lot. I wish them all the best and hope that the new location is successful for them. A great move from the diner's point of view - dry and great food.

Cheers,

Karole

I am sure that Artie and Lisa will figure out a way to have Gords Tofino Chocolates accessible at the Gardens. It will be most enjoyable for me personally, to be able to have some tasty affordable food, with a cold beer or a nice glass of wine in a truly beautiful setting. Ahhhh, making summer plans already - haha!

Very true, just another day in paradise! I hear the new digs upstairs at the Schooner should be opening around the same time - looking forward to see what they will be doing with that space. Paul, are you guys going ahead with the much rumoured in town location as well??

• 1 month later...

I'm going to Tofino for the first time in over two years at the beginning of April.

One glance at the internet tells me things have changed considerably since my last trip - most annoyingly, the prices! Wow! They've gone up!

We're looking for great places to eat on a waiter's budget, with maybe one high-end fine dining experience thrown in. We're up there for three days only.

We're looking for the best bang for our bucks in accomodation, too.

Criteria:

1. Fireplace.

2. Steps to beach.

Please share your experiences and knowledge. I'll bring back a shell for you! :wub:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Andrew:

Yep, I can imagine the "sticker shock" when you speak of prices. Coincidentally we just confirmed our travel plans to get out to Tofino for a couple of days at the end of June.

At least going at the time you are planning you may be able to take advantage of better availability and prices.

Here is a good site to begin, http://www.island.net/~tofino/ In order to keep costs down I expect that you will likely have to do the B.&B. route unless Chris has some local connections to take advantage of.

In our "pre-golden retriever" days we liked Pacific Sands but have not checked their prices. Close to Cox Bay and its rolling, softer surf and lots of sand dollars. Every unit we rented did have a fireplace.

The Long Beach Lodge resort is also on the same beach. It is right on the beach. Also have cabins set back an easy to the beach.

Chris has already written about the developments in the dining scene. SOBO now where Pamplona used to be. Another fish fry spot for more affordable munchies.

High end. The Wick's Pointe Restaurant. Shelter. Rainforest. We had a good meal at Shelter last fall but we usually do most of the evening cooking at "home"...no driving and I can drink as much good BC wine as I remember to pack and bring with us.

I am not sure whether at that time of year Parks Canada will have its interpretative centre open at the Wickaninnish Beach within the Park itself. The food was pretty good and the views spectacular. However, we have not been in years because by the time we arrive after Thanksgiving everything is boarded up.

The menu at the Tea-Lauca [sp?] resort in Ucluelet. Accessed via the Floatplane Depot rd. looked interesting but it was only open at nite while we were there so we did not go back to it. Have not heard anyone talk about it.

Good luck. Will be interested in hearing what you decided on.

The snow is falling in great big huge fluffly "Xmas-like" snowflakes...all in all I would rather be on Chesterman Beach.

Haven't been, but I suggest you do a search for "Tofino" in this forum as there have been recent posts. You probably already have. :rolleyes:

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

We stayed at a great B&B on Chesterman Beach a few years ago - basically got the front 1/2 of the house which included a fireplace, kitchen facilities and a great cedar bathroom - across the street from the beach, though, rather than on it. Take a look here for similar options - I agree - the prices have got scary - http://www.gonorthwest.com/BC/Islands/Tofino/bandb.htm - in recent years, we've stayed in Ucluelet to be able to spend more on food - try here for those - http://www.vancouverislandaccommodations.c...dbreakfasts.htm

Have a wonderful time. The resort in Ucluelet mentioned by Merlin is Tauca-Lea Resort & Spa - friends spent their honeymoon there and loved it - haven't been myself - their website is here: http://www.taucalearesort.com/

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

If your looking for cheap accomidations check out The Tofino Swell. It's a seven room lodge on the inlet side of Tofino on the water. Great communal kitchen, hot tub and incredible views of Clayoquot Sound. Have fun in Tough City.

Great to hear your voice Paul. Have you been travelling during the off-season?

Best,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Thanks again for all the recommendations. Still looking for the right pad. Can anyone recommend any place to stop for lunch on the drive from Nanaimo to Tofino?

Soooo looking forward to it. I'm humming a mix of Madonna's " Holiday" to the tune of Chicago's "Saturday in the Park". The excitement is confusing me.

I loathe Madonna... :unsure:

Andrew Morrison

Sorry gang, been deathly sick last couple of days, then in Vancouver for a couple for meetings of Les Clefs D'Ors. I have emailed editor personally, and as for spots between Nanaimo and Tofino, a few good options in Port Alberni at the Clam Bucket (or is it the Clam Shack - too similar for my liking - haha), and for a classic simple burger and fries do the P&L just off the main strip - it is an old drive-in style where the staff come out to your car to deliver the order. If you venture right into town centre (up the hill), there are a couple of small spots down in the redone harbourfront serving decent food. As for us, we are actually closed for the 3rd-5th of April to host the North American Relais & Chateaux Congress - super cool, high profile - some of the finest hoteliers and restauranteurs in North America all assembling in Tofino for 3 days. Most of them are starting at Lumiere on the 2nd for a private dinner hosted by Rob - this is a very prestigious event for for British Columbia - great exposure to some well travelled experts.

Thanks again for all the recommendations. Still looking for the right pad. Can anyone recommend  any place to stop for lunch on the drive from Nanaimo to Tofino?

Soooo looking forward to it. I'm humming a mix of Madonna's " Holiday" to the tune of Chicago's "Saturday in the Park". The excitement is confusing me.

I loathe Madonna... :unsure:

Depends on the weather - if it's nice, and you're into picnicking (sp? that looks wrong) - you might want to stop at McLean's specialty foods in Nanaimo's old city quarter (if you're into English cheese) or even Thrifty's by the Longwood Brew Pub (better at French cheese, IMO) and pick up lunch fixings - there's a small but not bad LDB outlet by the Thrifty's - then the revamped "rest stop" at Taylor Arm (far end of Sproat Lake) is surprisingly nice (and not just because composting toilets crack me up) - particularly now they've rerouted the highway so you aren't sitting right by the road. Otherwise, we don't tend to stop until we get to the West Coast. Unless you want a list of possibles in Nanaimo? I'm nowhere near as good at food places after leaving the boundaries of Nanoose (the Rocking Horse Pub, while off the beaten track, used to do excellent food) - let me know if you're interested in Nanaimo lunch-wise.

Hi Andrew- if you are thinking of making any of your own meals might I suggest you pick up a really good bottle of French Chablis before you go and then once in Tofino get some fresh crabs and have a major meal of crab and chablis. We were staying at the cottages at the Long Beach Lodge and that was one of our stand-out meals. I am sure others have swooned about Sobo so I won't bore you - but if you don't have their shrimp cakes you are seriously deranged.

Enjoy your well-deserved vacation sans children.

Cheers,

Karole

Thanks Foodie.

Crab and Chablis, eh? :wub: Yum. I'm going to try to eat out as much as possible a la Ling while I'm up there but I'll definitely order the combo if the opportunity presents itself. After work tonight I had some crab cakes and some leftover Burrowing Chard but that doesn't count.... :laugh:

For the drive I'm just going to take some biltong and some juice boxes (we are going avec child).

Having trouble nailing down a place, still. :unsure:

Andrew Morrison