• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Spelling, minor word adjustments

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

UGH.  On behalf of the state of KS, I'm sorry.  I know where that Wal-Mart is....I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't let you stay.  And don't get me started on El Dorado Lake.  We used to go there ALL THE TIME.  Fishing and camping for the weekend--I'm talking like 20 years ago.  It started getting really  rowdy....late night loud music etc.  The last straw was we got up early one morning to go fish and someone stole all of our poles, tackle, tackle boxes....you name it, they took it.  

Oh, my. You make me doubly determined not to try that park again!

As for the Walmart: those signs MAY have been temporary. My darling thinks the signs were printed on cardboard and weren't intended to be permanent. He also notes that when we've stayed there in the past the area where we stayed was loaded with pallets of garden supplies. This year, there was nothing. It's possible that the supplies simply hadn't been staged yet, and they needed to keep the area clear.

I *might* try, next year, to check with that Walmart before we head home, to see what the deal is. However, if Mineral Wells is any indication I probably won't bother. I tried 3 times to get through to the Mineral Wells Walmart Manager to give a direct compliment about our checkout clerk there, and tell him how grateful we are to be able to stay there. Twice I reached an operator who said "just a moment" followed by 6 minutes of hold music before I hung up. I finally settled for the online satisfaction survey and a handwritten letter that I hope he reads and appreciates. 

Smithy

Smithy

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

UGH.  On behalf of the state of KS, I'm sorry.  I know where that Wal-Mart is....I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't let you stay.  And don't get me started on El Dorado Lake.  We used to go there ALL THE TIME.  Fishing and camping for the weekend--I'm talking like 20 years ago.  It started getting really  rowdy....late night loud music etc.  The last straw was we got up early one morning to go fish and someone stole all of our poles, tackle, tackle boxes....you name it, they took it.  

Oh, my. You make me doubly determined not to try that park again!

As for the Walmart: those signs MAY have been temporary. My darling thinks the signs were printed on cardboard and weren't intended to be permanent. He also notes that when we've stayed there in the past the area where we stayed was loaded with pallets of garden supplies. This year, there was nothing. It's possible that the supplies simply hadn't been staged yet, and they needed to keep the area clear.

I *might* try, next year, to check with that Walmart before we head home, to see what the deal is. However, if Mineral Wells is any indication I probably won't bother. I tried 3 times to get through to the Mineral Wells Walmart Manager to give a direct compliment about our checkout clerk there, and tell him how grateful we are to be able to stay there. Twic I reached an operator who said "just a moment" with 6 minutes of hold music before I hung up. I finally settled for the online satisfaction survey and a handwritten letter that I hope he reads and appreciates.