• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

What a great idea!  I am sooo doing that - perhaps without the honey.  Hmm, one of my favorite variations on the classic BLT is to add avocado.  I'll bet that cornbread with bacon and avocado would be a good combination.

I went shopping yesterday - good thing, since the wind is howling and rocking the trailer today - and picked up more cornmeal as well as some buttermilk.  Experiments to continue soon.

Which brings to mind my tomato cobbler. The recipe is one I adapted from one that appeared in the newspaper a few years back.

Dice, salt and drain tomatoes, and stir together with some sauteed onion and garlic.  Make up a basic (non-sweetened) cornbread batter, but make it thinner than usual. Pour it into your heated and greased skillet, and dollop the tomatoes all over the surface. Sprinkle with cooked, crumbled bacon, grated Parmigiano or other hard cheese, and some green onions, and bake.

I see no good reason avocados ought not be a fine addition to that.

Depending on how thin you make the batter, this is either a casserole one eats with a fork, or it could be sturdy enough to cut in wedges. Fine flavor, though.

kayb

kayb

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

What a great idea!  I am sooo doing that - perhaps without the honey.  Hmm, one of my favorite variations on the classic BLT is to add avocado.  I'll bet that cornbread with bacon and avocado would be a good combination.

I went shopping yesterday - good thing, since the wind is howling and rocking the trailer today - and picked up more cornmeal as well as some buttermilk.  Experiments to continue soon.

Which brings to mind my tomato cobbler. The recipe is one I adapted from one that appeared in the newspaper a few years back.

Dice, salt and drain tomatoes, and stir together with some sauteed onion and garlic.  Make up a basic (non-sweetened) cornbread batter, but make it thinner than usual. Pour it into your heated and greased skillet, and dollop the tomatoes all over the surface. Sprinkle with cooked, crumbled bacon, grated Parmigiano or other hard cheese, and some green onions, and bake.

Depending on how thin you make the batter, this is either a casserole one eats with a fork, or it could be sturdy enough to cut in wedges. Fine flavor, though.