• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood In DC?

turbot

I am an English Gastronome and will be in DC mid-September.

I am looking for the three categories of seafood extravaganza: budget, moderate and ouch. What is partcularly appealing to me is the seasonality and locality of produce, so I am hoping to find locally caught fish/shellfish and other ingredients...

Ben Schneider - London, UK.

On the casual side of things, I'd recommend Johnny's Half Shell in Dupont Circle. At lunch, I'm especially fond of their gumbo and the shrimp Po-Boy. This isn't inexpensive, probably in the middle ground of your range. Another newer place that has gotten some favorable mentions lately is Hank's Oyster Bar.

In the upper range, but not quite ouch, I like Blacksalt. THey seem to have gotten control a little bit of their tendency to overuse their namesake (i.e. oversalting). They have a light touch with their fryer, have a good selection of shellfish and their fish stews get good reviews. They also have tasting menus in the evenings.

At the highest end, Kinkeads is a long-time contender. I've never been, so other can comment more, but it has its loyalists and an equal number of detractors.

For the most casual, you might want to venture out of the city to a crab shack somewhere in Maryland. That isn't my thing, so others would have to give advice on that particular piece of regional flavor.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

I second all of Bill's suggestions -- especially the crab shack idea-- save that I prefer Pesce, about three doors down from Johnny's, to Johnny's, for reasons unclear even to myself.

(From a review I wrote) "Save the occasional soup or salad, Pesce is all fish, all the time. The restaurant’s attitude, energy and small size give the place a European feel... Pesce’s customers come for the simple charms of a well-roasted red snapper, sauced only with olive oil and lemon, or a garlicky brandade that, with a little bit of cream and potato, transforms salt cod into refined dining.

Though Pesce’s Italian roots show through, the kitchen borrows freely and well from other cuisines. A pair of batter-fried shrimp, each seemingly the size of a small banana, come with a Southeast Asian dipping sauce spiked with sugar and fish sauce. A burly chunk of bluefish meets its match in a pungent tuna bolognese with plenty of garlic and black beans. But it’s the grace note added by chard and mushrooms, braised in soy and sesame oil and secreted beneath the filet, that make the dish memorable. "

Perhaps proving that fish restaurants, like fish, travel in schools, yet another fish joint, Hank's, has opened just across Dupont Circle from Johnny's and Pesce. Word of mouth has been mixed but positive, and

edited to make it look as though I'm a native English speaker.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thanks Busboy and Bilrus,

These all look like they are up my street; and the only way to full appreciate your personal choices is, of course, to sample all the eateries you have mentioned!

I am intrigued, Busboy, to know how your written response would have varied if I hailed from the US, say Cape Cod? :wink:

Best Regards,

Turbot

I second all of Bill's suggestions -- especially the crab shack idea-- save that I prefer Pesce, about three doors down from Johnny's, to Johnny's, for reasons unclear even to myself.

(From a review I wrote) "Save the occasional soup or salad, Pesce is all fish, all the time. The restaurant’s attitude, energy and small size give the place a European feel...  Pesce’s customers come for the simple charms of a well-roasted  red snapper, sauced only with olive oil and lemon, or a garlicky brandade that, with a little bit of cream and potato, transforms salt cod into refined dining.

Though Pesce’s Italian roots show through, the kitchen borrows freely and well from other cuisines.  A pair of batter-fried shrimp, each seemingly the size of a small banana, come with a Southeast Asian dipping sauce spiked with sugar and fish sauce.  A burly chunk of bluefish meets its match in a pungent tuna bolognese with plenty of garlic and black beans.  But it’s the grace note added by chard and mushrooms, braised in soy and sesame oil and secreted beneath the filet, that make the dish memorable. "

Perhaps proving that fish restaurants, like fish, travel in schools, yet another fish joint, Hank's, has opened just across Dupont Circle from Johnny's and Pesce.  Word of mouth has been mixed but positive, and

I would put Oceanaire Seafood Room and Old Ebbit Grill on the list. Oceanaire has fresh oysters at half price at the bar until 6:00 PM every day and I understand that the Old Ebbit has a seafood sampler (Orca?) for half price during happy hour and later at 11:00. The seafood at both places will be very fresh.

edited to add: The stocks of fresh seafood in the DC area have been depleted by overfishing and water polution. There are very few if any oysters to be had from the Chesapeake Bay. Ditto on blue crabs. Many of the crabs you get from the crab houses on the bay are "imported" from other states. The major seafood joints in DC such as Oceanaire and Old Ebbitt offer oysters from the Pacific Northwest and the Northeast US and Canadien Maritimes (all very, very fresh). So, if it's "local" seafod that you are looking for, when it comes to shellfish and crustaceans, the pickin's are mighty slim.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Turbot, you don't mention your transportational capabilities but the only way to eat seafood in DC is to leave DC.

Cantler's Riverside outside of Annapolis provides an experience unlike anything else you could find anywhere and will introduce you to the best of what American Cuisine is really about. Just order up a dozen crabs with sweet corn and their onion rings, ask for instructions and go to town. It is worth the trip and the risk of getting lost. Furthermore, it is the type of experience that is the only American equivalent of when a European host takes a visiting guest to a special, favorite restaurant to show-off his local cuisine and to introduce the guest to something special and unique about his culture.

If you can't make it there, you must at least go to Jerry's Seafood in Lanham, Maryland and order the Crab Bomb.

In the city, I would recommend Old Ebbit for raw bar and then a quick walk to Corduroy for Chef Tom Powers' exquisite scallops and other fish/seafood delights.

I am a computer spazz, so maybe someone else can post links and info about these places.

Cantler's in Annapolis Maryland: Locally caught crabs by the bushel? full!! Straight from the Chesapeake Bay.

http://cantlers.com/

We went there a couple weeks ago and had a helluva good time. We got a dozen large crabs, tried some cream of crab soup and took home two crab cakes which were just about the size of baseballs.

If you haven't done the paper table cloth, wooden mallet whack a crab thing, you've got to try it. It's less than an hour drive from DC and while a bit off the beaten track, is very, very popular. Go early on the weekends.

edited to add...also recommend Old Ebbit Grill. I believe the half price HUGE raw bar deals, the Orca and Walrus platters are available mon. thru thurs from around 2-5 then after 11, I think. Check out the website to be sure. It's not only good for seafood, but is very "DC" with hints of political whisperings in the dark corners. Start your evening 2 buildings away at the Hotel Washington roof top terrace for a drink (only) and spectacular views of the White House and Monuments.

Old Ebbitt Grill:

http://ebbitt.com/main/index-flash.cfm

Hotel Washington:

http://hotelwashington.com/view.html

Edited by monavano (log)

Thanks Busboy and Bilrus,

These all look like they are up my street; and the only way to full appreciate your personal choices is, of course, to sample all the eateries you have mentioned!

I am intrigued, Busboy, to know how your written response would have varied if I hailed from the US, say Cape Cod?  :wink:

Best Regards,

Turbot

I second all of Bill's suggestions -- especially the crab shack idea-- save that I prefer Pesce, about three doors down from Johnny's, to Johnny's, for reasons unclear even to myself....

Perhaps proving that fish restaurants, like fish, travel in schools, yet another fish joint, Hank's, has opened just across Dupont Circle from Johnny's and Pesce.  Word of mouth has been mixed but positive...

Nope. I think all the places mentioned here are eclectic enough that they'd have equal appeal whichever England you're from -- "New" or "Merrie Olde".

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

If you can't make it there, you must at least go to Jerry's Seafood in Lanham, Maryland and order the Crab Bomb.

Agree 100%. Even if you CAN make it Cantler's, go to Jerry's.

And don't forget a cup of either the cream of crab soup or crab bisque. Served with more lump crab on top than many places have in their crab cakes. Ask for a taste of each first if you can't decide. Excellent vegetable crab soup as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06