• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

currants

mrbigjas

ok so i have a bowl full of currants here. i don't know if they're black or red--they're kind of a reddish purpleish color. i bought them on a whim, and don't know what to do with them. i don't really eat much jam.... they're pretty tart. anyone have any thoughts?

that was my first thought--i've never had something like that before, and it sounds great. but these are definitely darker purple than what jack was using, and he specifically said 'only heathens add blackcurrants.' now, while i definitely have many heathenish habits, i don't know if i should express them the first time i make something....

i should add, i also have a bowl of small red sour cherries which are delicious. if that gives anyone else any other ideas.

Fruit fool

i know they're fruit; you don't have to be insulting about it!

hahaha i bet no one's ever made that joke before.

anyway, fool, yes.... i've never had that either, but fruit puree and whipped cream--what could be wrong with that? i think i'll try it!

Fruit fool

i know they're fruit; you don't have to be insulting about it!

hahaha i bet no one's ever made that joke before.

anyway, fool, yes.... i've never had that either, but fruit puree and whipped cream--what could be wrong with that? i think i'll try it!

You can top basmati rice with currants sauteed in butter and saffron. It is wonderful with chicken.

As for your sour cherries, my all-time favorite food is sour cherry rice. You parboil basmati rice, and separately cook your sour cherries briefly with a bit of sugar and water. Drain the rice, layer it in a pot with the sour cherry mixture, and steam. Garnish it with saffron and you will have the prettiest pink rice you have ever seen. Also good with chicken.

On a completely unrelated note, currant scones are pretty good.

You can top basmati rice with currants sauteed in butter and saffron. It is wonderful with chicken.

you don't say... that's interesting. and how would you cook the chicken, to go with this?

As for your sour cherries, my all-time favorite food is sour cherry rice. You parboil basmati rice, and separately cook your sour cherries briefly with a bit of sugar and water. Drain the rice, layer it in a pot with the sour cherry mixture, and steam. Garnish it with saffron and you will have the prettiest pink rice you have ever seen. Also good with chicken.

wow, that sounds great too, but unfortunately the cherries got made into a clafoutis tonight. don't tell the france board folks that i used sour cherries for it! (see, i told you i was a heathen...)

You can always make rote grutze with red currants too. The way I learned it from a friend is to use 2 parts currants to one part raspberries and one part sour cherries. You cook them with sugar to taste (and a splash of water to get things going) and thicken with corn or potato starch. His family eats it with cream or a creme anglaise poured on top. It's very tasty.

regards,

trillium