• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Havana Club

stellabella

Last night my husband returned from 12 days in Cuba with 4 bottles of Havana Club 7 years.  We're neither of us rum connoiseuers, but it tastes pretty good to us.  

He was hoping that this would be a sort of "scouting mission" after which he'd take me and some of our friends back down for a good time.  But his trip sounds rather depressing, and I am not sure if I could enjoy myself participating in the "apartheid tourism"--he said that the Cuban people have nothing, have access to nothing, and they refuse to speak candidly.  My husband is a sociologist who's been to equatorial Africa, for example, where people don't own shoes, and he said Cuba was the strangest place he's ever visited.  Anyway, aside from lounging on beautiful beaches sipping rum cocktails, there doesn't appear to be a great deal more attraction for tourists.  And the Cuban masses are largely prohibited from entering the tourist hot-spots.

Sad, but good rum.  Good cigars.  Very friendly people.

Just thought

BPC--

This was posted before I saw his video footage or his photos--he didn't tell me that EVERYWHERE they went musicians were assembled singing and dancing.  And  the Yaruba people.  And, and...

In spite of how depressing it sounds, it looks intensely beautiful and insanely unlike any other place in the Western Hemisphere.

We haven't tried out our cigars yet, but we've been enjoying the rum with coke or over ice with a little lime zest.

• 3 months later...

BPC, you must be Jeff Davis :biggrin:

As far as the impoverished Cuban people go, I wouldn't let it bother you. Batista was no picnic and Castro is not all that people make him out to be. The Cuban people, on the whole, have better education than 90% of the rest of the world and they have better healthcare (while I don't subscribe to socialized medicine, the truth is the truth). The Cuban people are some of the most kind, friendly and honest people on the planet. They DO speak candidly--they love Castro. Those that don't have fled the country. I have many friends who routinely visit Cuba (monthly) and they find that the Cuban people honestly do like Castro. Many of the best jobs for Cubans are working in the tourist industry, that and cigar rolling. There would be no reason to keep them from the tourists.

I'm going to try to hunt down HC7 in the near future. Any opinions if I should spend some money on HC5 also? Are they both good or should I just rely on the older version?

I'm partial to Anejo Reserva, which is a blended 6, its smoother than the 7 in my opinion. However, theres nothing wrong with the 7, and I wouldnt mind having a few bottles of it either. :)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have a bottle of HC7 right now, with regret. I'd prefer a Jamaican rum any day as I find HC quite harsh.

I once had an unbelievable rum in a restaurant, upon the sommelier's recommendation. It was an El Dorado special reserve, 12 year old I believe. Forget about Cognac. This baby was smooth as silk and had all the age and grace of Catherine Deneuve. I highly recommend it.

I believe you were probably served the El Dorado Special Reserve which is a 15 year old rum and quite a bit heavier than their 12 year old. The dark green bottle is squat and distinctive. A great after dinner rum, lots of smoky oak flavors.

HC7 can be a little harsh but the Reserva will always be a classic aged rum. Unfortunately it is easy to get confused with all the different labels.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I don't think the retailer (to whom my hunting trip is directed at) carries the Anejo, so I'll settle on buying as many bottles of HC7 as I can legally get over the border... :smile: (unless they carry some other nice brand, as well...)

BTW: My reference above to HC5 should have been HC3, of course...

I have a bottle of HC7 right now, with regret.  I'd prefer a Jamaican rum any day as I find HC quite harsh.

I once had an unbelievable rum in a restaurant, upon the sommelier's recommendation.  It was an El Dorado special reserve, 12 year old I believe.  Forget about Cognac.  This baby was smooth as silk and had all the age and grace of Catherine Deneuve.  I highly recommend it.

The El Dorado Special Reserve, as ed says, is a 15. Their "Superior" which is sold in a tall 750ml bottle is a 12.

Its also a Demerara rum, which has its own special flavor characteristics. They have a unique way of making rum in Guyana, its one of the oldest distilleries in the world, and generally speaking they can be pretty expensive compared to other rums of similar age. Totally different kind of rum than the Havana Club. HC is not even in the same league. Generally speaking with these rums, you want to drink them neat, in a brandy snifter, and you want them to heat up to room temperature or maybe even a little warmer for all of their flavor elements and their odors to activate.

I bought my bottle of El Dorado Special Reserve for $32 in Newark, NJ, which is considered to be a very good price. It usually goes from 40 to 50 bucks a bottle. Washington Times article on Demerara Distillers

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 4 months later...

I have now tasted the HC7 and find it a bit harsh enjoyed as such. Any recommendations on how I should try it? Thus far, I've used a dash of water but I am wondering whether a lump of ice might suit it better...?

It got a bit better when I warmed it up in the palm of my hand, but...

Perhaps I should try the Anejo next...

Its really nice with ice, and especially coca cola.

I definitely prefer Anejo Reserva for sipping.

• 2 weeks later...

try "santiago de Cuba " rum or the "HC anjeo oro", both are much better than the HC 7.

having Cuban family in Cuba and visiting quiet often, this "apartied" you speak of exist in Nassau, Jamacia, Hati and many other tourist islands, it doesn't make it right but to single out Cuba for it is only partially taking the blinders off.

But i digress, back to rum Cubay is also a good dry rum, all the rums i am mentioning are available as exports, for their are many of my favorite rums that do not get exported and that may be a good thing. LOL