• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flying solo

cuisy

Greetings all - I'm coming in this weekend for a meeting at SFU and wonder if you have suggestions for places to have a nice dinner or lunch solo. (I rooted around a bit on the archived threads for this topic, but apologies if I've missed postings on this query!) Am staying at Renaissance Harbourside on West Hastings and will be on foot. Seafood or sushi would be lovely, but I would enjoy any special Vancouver must-visits. Many thanks -

Greetings all - I'm coming in this weekend for a meeting at SFU and wonder if you have suggestions for places to have a nice dinner or lunch solo.  (I rooted around a bit on the archived threads for this topic, but apologies if I've missed postings on this query!)  Am staying at Renaissance Harbourside on West Hastings and will be on foot.  Seafood or sushi would be lovely, but I would enjoy any special Vancouver must-visits.  Many thanks -

Make a reso at Tojo's for the sushi bar. You will be facinated by Tojo, and certainly made to feel welcome.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

One of the best sushi restaurants in the Vancouver area, Takumi, is just minutes away from SFU.

map.gif

Located in a sizable strip mall off one of Burnaby's main thoroughfares, it is bright and clean, with very fresh seafood. Sit at the sushi-bar and let the two chefs serve you. Chit-chat with them if you like; sit back and relax is perfectly fine as well. Quite reasonably priced for the level of food.

Closer to your hotel, Cardero's is a pleasant 15-minute walk along the sea-wall toward the west. It is a bustling place with a fantastic view. Sit out on the patio and appreciate the sunset for more peace and quietude. The new and famous Lift is also located nearby. I have not been there, however.

1552576-Carderos-Vancouver.gif

If you don't mind going into the Robson area, which is also just 15 minutes away, then Saveur on Thurlow should offer you the ultimate peace and serenity, not to mention some fantastically authentic French cuisine, including many intricately-prepared seafood dishes. You should be able to find lots of other restaurants along Robson, but most of them are quite loud and crowded.

saveurmap2.jpg

Let us know if you need any more help! Enjoy the stay!

Edited by nondual1 (log)

I have been assuming that Cuisy's SFU confernence was downtown given that she was staying on West Hastings. But you know that 'assume' is a dangerous word.

If you are downtown - there are a lot of choices. I don't think that a woman eating alone is a big deal in Vancouver - but as I guy, I have an obvious blind spot to this issue.

There are a number of Japanese Izakaya restaurants worth checking out - though the small plates are meant to be shared, the Izakaya thing is something that I find is a real Vancouver phenom. Hapa Izakaya is probably the nicest place - and Guu w/ Garlic being the most boisterous and cheerful.

The most popular new restaraunt in the city is Chambar - the food is very good, reasonable, and the atmosphere lively and sophisticated. Apparently a seat at the bar is an excellent way to sample to food and be taken care by a good bartender.

If you make your way into Yaletown, there is always the Hamilton Street Grill - which is the unofficial clubhouse for egullet people in Vancouver. Great hangar steak and a gingerbread pudding that rivals the any sticky toffee pudding that I have tasted. But there are other places in Yaletown that you may want to consider, Rodney's Oyster Bar, Elixir (uptown French Bistro), and Shiru Bay (Izakaya again).

The city's forte (in terms of something you can't get elsewhere) is Asian. As a single diner - Chinese will be tough to do - though dim sum may be an option (Kirin Downtown on Alberni gets my vote) - please stay away from Hon's. As suggested up thread - Japanese is probably the best way to sample the Asian food bounty in Vancouver. Tojo's is the most famous - but for something more 'homestyle' I have always liked Okada on Nelson Street.. They have a good fresh sheet and the wild salmon sashimi is a reminder of why farmed salmon has never been the culinary equivalent of the real thing.

I am sure other's will chime in.

I believe Yuji's is more reasonably-priced than Tojo's, and I love their sweet potato fries with tartar sauce. Most of their items on the fresh sheet range from $6-$10, which items like flounder sashimi with ponzu, King sugi fish salad with wasabi dressing, and grilled beef tongue, to name a few.

I have been assuming that Cuisy's SFU confernence was downtown given that she was staying on West Hastings.  But you know that 'assume' is a dangerous word.

Oooops! But of course...!

All right, scratch Takumi. In its place, I would recommend either one of these for Japanese:

1) Chiyoda on Alberni, between Burrard and Thurlow. Having been on the scene for a long time, Chiyoda is an old favorite for Japanese themselves. It has been given a face-lift in recent years and continues to serve authentic Japanese delicacies and very fresh sashimi.

2) Yoshi on Denman and Georgia is a little more upscale, but is one of the few that offer kaiseki-style dining. Something to be experienced.

Both of these are within 15 minutes walking from Harbourside Hotel. As well, for Chinese seafood, Imperial Chinese Seafood is literally steps away. Not necessarily the best Chinese restaurant in town, but is pretty safe and comfortable bet for non-Chinese.

Edited by nondual1 (log)

Other options are to dine at the bar of a restaurant if you don't want to do the solo at a table thing. Although neither are downtown,I have eaten at the bar at both West and Cru and recommend them for both food and ambience. Both have very friendly staff - Mim at Cru is very hospitable and welcoming to singles; I understand there have been staff changes at West. Both restaurants are excellent with Cru being less expensive than West.

Cheers,

Karole

Cuisy,

Just a not to say there's not one place I've been made uncomfortable for eating on my own in Vancouver. Just be sure to be seated at a table you feel comfortable in and enjoy!

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Sit at the bar at Umami's on Davie. The female servers and Hiro (chef and Sommelier) will treat you well. Great Japanese inspired tapas and a lovely wine list. The room is peaceful and you will be left alone ( unless you what to chit chat with the servers). A great solo location.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG