• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bruno Jamais

Nathan

after having a $19 sidecar there last night (and realizing that I was the youngest non-staff male by at least 20 years -- albeit there were plenty of women younger than me) and perusing the late night menu ($16 pommes frites and $75 scrambled eggs with caviar -- as well as a caviar preparation from the "Alain Ducasse private stock")...I wondered, has anyone actually eaten here and if so, is it worth checking out for dinner?

Is a $19 sidecar that much better than a $13 sidecar at Temple Bar? $16 pommes frites? Somehow, I doubt that the prices there are mostly based on quality. Can french fries be worth $16?

Michael aka "Pan"

If I were paying $13 to buy a drink for a woman a third my age, you can bet I'd pay an extra $6 to be sure she wasn't making eyes at a guy half my age.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Um, so no difference of quality there. :laugh:

Seriously, $13 is really expensive to me, which is why I go to the Temple Bar about once a year for a single drink.

Michael aka "Pan"

. . . . which is why I go to the Temple Bar about once a year for a single drink.

And probably not with a woman a third your age. :raz:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

. . . . which is why I go to the Temple Bar about once a year for a single drink.

And probably not with a woman a third your age. :raz:

I'd be arrested. :laugh::raz:

Michael aka "Pan"

Had dinner there in March. I can't recall at all what I ate, but I do remember that everything was mediocre. Oh yeah: "pastrami-crusted" somefishoranother that was waaaaay too salty. Service was lousy. Everything was obscenely overpriced for the fare. Had a late table, so by the time the mains came, people were dancing and milling about the diners. As a smoker, I can say the smoking-permitted lounge-y room downstairs is a nice touch, albeit filled with young, unapproachable B&T-ers.

If I were paying $13 to buy a drink for a woman a third my age, you can bet I'd pay an extra $6 to be sure she wasn't making eyes at a guy half my age.

Right on, Bux! :laugh:

If you're inclined to stop and consider the quality of the cuisine or the price of a drink in this place, you're not in their target market. I'm not in their target market either, but I drop by every now and then to enjoy the people-watching. Bruno Jamais' club/restaurant serves a very specific purpose for a very specific clientele , and Bux hit the nail on the head, as usual.