• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Domain Drouhin 2001 Pinot Noir

Really Nice!

I opened up two bottles of Domain Drouhin 2001 Pinot Noir last night. Both corks broke in the bottle as I was pulling them out with my wine key. The bottles are stored in a cellar (57°F; 70 percent humidity) on their side.

I haven't had a cork break on me in I don't know how long.

Has anyone else expereinced this with this particular wine/vintage?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

How were they stored before they got to your cellar? Even in perfect cellaring conditions with the bottle stored on its side, corks can still break or crumble upon being extracted. If I'm dealing with an "older" bottle (a term I would not use to describe your DD by the way), I will use an ah-so.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Yes, when I had a cork from a 1959 Château Gruaud Larose crumble on me (two years ago) I learned of the importance of an ah-so. :biggrin:

I don't know how the wines were handled, and I should have put this in my original post, but the cork just didn't feel right on first pull. It immediately wanted to fish hook. With the first bottle, I thought, "Okay... my bad." So I took extra care with the second one and I noticed it behaved the same way. It didn't want to come straight out.

My hypothesis (and I have read Science for Dummies) :raz: is that the cork circumference was too big for the bottle. It also squeaked loudly as it moved, if that means anything.

This is why I posted the question, to see if there's anyone out there experiencing the same thing from this particular winery; and maybe with this particular vintage.

Thanks!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

It might be an inferior grade of cork. Does the cork have a tight, smooth grain, or is it full of "swiss cheese" type holes?

The Natural Cork Quality Council

A fun site, with a (somewhat oversimplified) visual grading system

Cork Facts

Llosent & Forschner Cork Suppliers

A good description of the different grades of cork available

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the Lauren or the regular PN?

We haven't opened our Lauren of that particular year but have had quite a few of the 2001 PN. I don't remember having any cork problems.

I would call the winery and ask them about the corks on that vintage: 503-864-2700

Regular PN. We had two more break this week. Different people opening them, but the cork behaved the same way. I sent them an e-mail last week. No response yet. I never had a problem with them either. The cork has a tight, smooth grain.

Drink!

According to the winery this is very rare but can happen. Corks are kept at controlled humidity untill they are used but it is visually impossible to tell if a cork was too dry when it was used. I have been working for the Drouhin family for 6+ years and this is the first I have heard of this. The Drouhin's spend more on their corks they most of the industry. Regarding "corked" wines, the world average seems to be somewhere between 5-7% the wines from Drouhin well, well below that. I my market I rarely see it and if I had to come up with a number I would saw between 1 & 2%.... I'm sorry to hear about this problem.

BTW? How was the wine? The 2001 I had this week was drinking the best it ever had.

RAF

It might be an inferior grade of cork.  Does the cork have a tight, smooth grain, or is it full of "swiss cheese" type holes?

The Natural Cork Quality Council

A fun site, with a (somewhat oversimplified) visual grading system

Cork Facts

Llosent & Forschner Cork Suppliers

A good description of the different grades of cork available

I think it goes without saying that Domaine Drouhin is using the finest grade of corks available. I opened a bottle of this elegant beauty last Saturday without a problem. However, as with all natural products, there will be some corks that have faults (other than TCA). Also, as this wine has been in the market some time now, if there were any kind of widespread problem it would have been well reported by now.