• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Continuing the research

Ed Hamilton

Well the time has come to set sail again and continue the research. I'll  be in Chicago this summer with trips to Las Vegas and New York.

As I head down island I'll be picking up a few more bottles of Cuban, French and Bajan rums, as well as a few others.

Looking forward to getting back to the forum after July 16.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Have a nice trip.  Pick up some Ron Santiago 45 Aniversario and some Ron Matusalem Anejo Superior.

Let us know what you find out there amongst the islands!

Dan stretch.gif

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

ED.....Thank you for all the valuable information from the Ministry of Rum, now its time to enjoy some more wind ,sea, & rum.... enjoy the  research.

Good searching. I hope you are working up towards a new book soon.

John Reekie

• 2 months later...

Well the Caribbean research is over for the next three months while I regroup in Chicago between trips in the states.

As for new rums there were more than a few. . . Angostura has come out with a new 5 year old gold and dark rum, Westerhall has introduced a new Grand Havana Cuban style rum and there are a number of new lime and citrus flavored rums from St Kitts, Grenada, and the French islands, unfortunately most won't make it to the states. I say unfortunately because I wish more people could at least try them but I seriously doubt if many of the flavored rums will make it on their merit, other than being new or unique..

I did see Doorly's XO a blend of 6 to 12 year old rums from RL Seale in Barbados being sold in Trinidad, Grenada and even St Maarten.

You've probably already seen Cruzan's 5 year old rums in the states and Canada, but they were only recently introduced in the islands.

And although they are by no means new, the Dominican and Cuban rums are gaining distribution on the Dutch side of St Maarten and a few other out of the way places. :cool:

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.