• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scented geraniums

lperry

I spent yesterday constructing a potted herb garden on my deck. One of the things I planted was a scented geranium, and I plan to plant more. This one is called "peach" although it smells citrusy to me.

I have used rose scented geraniums before in cake pans to flavor cakes, but after that I'm at something of a loss. The label from the plant nursery says use in "jams, jellies, ice creams etc." OK, so do I make a simple syrup? A tea? Does anyone grow these? Which ones do you like the best and use the most? Please share ideas and recipes.

Thanks,

Linda

This link is the archive page to the herb companion magazine's web site. http://www.herbcompanion.com/view.asp?page=archives

There are recipes for scented sugars, etc. I'm sure you can substitute your geranium for some of the other recipes. I know there is a rose geranium bath powder in there somewhere...I just use mine for potpourri.

There is a place on richters.com that you can order books. There were several just on scented geraniums last time I looked. There is also a q&a page where you may get some more ideas. They have high quality herbs, I've always had good luck ordering from them. funny, cause they're in Canada and I'm in Louisiana!

peach and rose scented Geranium sorbet!

you cook the geraniums in the sugar syrup with the peaches & then pull them out before you puree...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I've used rose geranium leaves to flavor cream and milk based desserts. Got the original idea from Deborah Madison's, " The Savory Way".

Basically, you infuse the milk or cream by bringing it just to the boil with the leaves; then turn off the heat and let sit for 20 min or so. I've made a creme anglaise with this base which is wonderful to serve with a pound cake and blackberries or raspberries. Being in the same family, rose and black or raspberries go very well together.

You could also use the flavored custard as a base for oeufs a la neige, a panna cotta or a bavarian. Another idea I've seen is to layer leaves in the mold of a rose-scented coeur a la creme to further scent the creme. A rose flavored creme anglaise would also be nice with home made berry sorbets. Rose flavored whipped cream would also be nice with the berries... I don't know how the flavors would hold up frozen, but one might be able to also make an ice cream.

Peach goes very well with almonds and pistachios so you may be able to apply some of these ideas in a similar way.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Many thanks for the links and ideas. I'm going to try making a syrup for sorbet, and I'm thinking I could make an interesting cocktail too.....

Thanks!

-Linda

Rose or lemon geranium syllabub

Peel (no pith) and juice one lemon

12 large scented lemon or rose geranium leaves

1 3/4 c. whipping cream

1/3 c. superfine sugar

1/2 c. dry white wine

enough ratafia biscuits or macaroons to divide between six dessert dishes

Put lemon peel and geranium leaves in saucepan. Pour 2/3 cup of cream in. Stirring constantly bring to boil. Remove, cool completely, stir often. In a bowl, combine lemon juice, wine and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Strain cream-mixture into wine mixture, stirring constantly. Whip until syllabub stands in soft peaks. Divide biscuits or macaroons among the dessert dishes and spoon syllabub over top. Garnish with geranium leaves and slices of lemon.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Rose or lemon geranium syllabub

Peel (no pith) and juice one lemon

12 large scented lemon or rose geranium leaves

1 3/4 c. whipping cream

1/3 c. superfine sugar

1/2 c. dry white wine

enough ratafia biscuits or macaroons to divide between six dessert dishes

Put lemon peel and geranium leaves in saucepan. Pour 2/3 cup of cream in. Stirring constantly bring to boil. Remove, cool completely, stir often. In a bowl, combine lemon juice, wine and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Strain cream-mixture into wine mixture, stirring constantly. Whip until syllabub stands in soft peaks. Divide biscuits or macaroons among the dessert dishes and spoon syllabub over top. Garnish with geranium leaves and slices of lemon.

ooh, thanks petite tete de chou--the syllabub sounds like a great idea!

I like the eden's idea also to combine scented geranium with other fruits to make a sorbet... another nice combo could be almond and rose geranium ice cream...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I will admit to having to look up "syllabub!" :rolleyes: It sounds so gorgeous and delicious. I need more plants!

I can always rely upon egulleters to inspire me. Summer desserts, here I come. :smile:

I like to make a rose geranium scented pastry cream to fill a short crust tart shell and then layer ripe oozing sliced figs in a pretty rosette on top. I also use the leaves in things that call for rose water (South Asian style rice pudding for instance) and I use the rose scented syrup in drinks. eem (of eG and Sahagun Chocolate) makes a really lovely rose geranium scented ganache for her palets.

I really recommend the Herb Farm cookbook, besides recipes, it has great charts telling you what fruits go with what herbs, and how much leaves for how long for infusing creams, making simple syrups, scenting sugar, etc. It also has detailed instructions on growing herbs. I'm going to try lavendar with rhubarb tonight.

regards,

trillium

• 1 year later...

*bump*

I brought a large, rose scented geranium inside this winter expecting it to go dormant, and it proceeded to grow and sprawl all over the floor. I couldn't bring myself to throw out the cuttings (it felt too much like wasting food), so now I've got a jar on my counter with the crushed leaves steeping in some vodka. I'm hoping to add the "extract" to berry jams later this spring and summer to add a nice floral top note. There's also a jar of Meyer limoncello finishing in the kitchen, and I plan to experiment with combining the two.

I realize it's an odd time of year to ask, but is anyone doing anything interesting with scented geraniums?

I really like scented geraniums. They're pretty, they smell good (if a bit clingy), and they're hard to kill. I think I'm up to 4 or 5 on the back porch now.

I had an idea to make an experimental cocktail out of all rose and rose relative plants.

Initially, it was Apple Brandy, Rose Hip tea, and rose petals. When I was experimenting with that, I changed my mind and decided to use rose scented geranium leaves instead of rose petals, and it turned out pretty well.

If I remember right, I muddled a rose geranium leaf in a teaspoon of simple syrup, added 3/4 oz extra strong rose hip tea, 2 oz apple brandy, and ice, then shook to chill. Strained into cocktail glass, and dropped in a small geranium leaf in for garnish.

The victi... errr... test subjects felt this was pretty tasty. However, I thought maybe it could use a tad more sour. Maybe a dash lemon juice or a twist.

I never did come up with a name, either.

edit - by the way, in case you didn't know, this is pretty similar to a cocktail called the Jack Rose. I will check my notes tonight when I get home, to make sure the above is accurate.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

edit - by the way, in case you didn't know, this is pretty similar to a cocktail called the Jack Rose cocktail.

I didn't know. I admire the cocktail forums from afar. :smile: Thanks for the ideas.