• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

antique, or aged, bookstore

lturley4

I collect older, aged, antique, and kitsch cookbooks, much like most posters here probably do.  A friend who used to live in the city told me of a place offering, to his recollection, an entire upper floor of "aged" cookbooks.   Unfortunately he cannot remember the name nor location save it is on the Upper East side.  Does this sound familiar to anyone and, if not, any suggestions for good cookbook stores to peruse this summer...I've gotta stay away from the bars while the wife shops.

There's an extensive second-hand bookstore on 12th Street, which I discovered has a pretty large selection of well-priced, good quality food books.  I picked up a hardback MJK Fisher collection there for about $10.  And it's well-stocked all round.  Can I remember the name?  Of course not.  But it's almost opposite Gotham Bar & Grill, and therefore a few steps from that new-ish steak house, the Strip House.  Down some steps into a basement.  Can't miss it, and if you do I owe you a pint of shandy.

I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but this is an incredible book store. I f there is something you are looking for they will also help you find it. Also, this is a great source for out of print books.

Nach Waxman

Kitchen Arts and letters -

1435 Lexington Ave.

New York, New York 10128

1- 212-876-5550

There's a lovely specialty shop called "Cookbooks" on Greenwich Street, just north of Canal. It has exactly what you describe - old, antique and kitschy cookbooks. I'll try to dig up the number somewhere, as it's just around the corner.

EDIT: A good store for perusing, is the downtown Strand on Fulton Street. It's the same size or larger than the 12th Street location, but a fraction as full. Especially good for  fiction and arts. Skyline Books on 18th b/w 5th and 6th is another favorite haunt, with extensive fiction, poetry, esoterica and records. Chartwell on 52nd Street has a large Churchill collection, plus very good first edition jazz books.

There is a big out-of-print bookshop on Lex. near the 92nd Street "Y". I wonder if that is it. The shop on Greenwich Street must be at #488. It belongs to Joanne Hendricks, a lovely woman married to one of the world's nicest fellows, Jon Hendricks.

The shop Wilfrid mentioned is (no surprise here) called Twelfth Street Books, 11 East 12 Street, NY, NY 10003

212/645-4340

12thstreetbooks@earthlink.net

I've been in a couple of times, and I got Beeton's Book of Household Management (one needs instruction on how to keep those butlers in their place) and a book on absinthe. Cooking and travel are at the back, left.

Thank you all.  I feel I am squatting on your website.  Yes, most online purveyors I have visited, but there is a certain beauty of actually reviewing older books.  

Problem: while wife is shopping I simply cannot again get away with shopping online.  Believe it or not, it has happened before....

robert brown:  I suspect that is the bookstore my friend and I discussed the other night based on location.

Liza: I suspect that is the bookstore my friend and I discussed the other night based on description.

Conclusion: I shall visit both.  And others.  And...well...

anything to stay away form those splendid wine bars while Julia is shopping, poor girl...

Thanks again for all the help on this board.  Sorry again for wasting space.  I will post, hardly a review, but an experience description of all our better dining expeiences while in the city, as well as my related shopping discoveries.

If you see me stumbling around this summer carrying more books than I can haul please lend a hand, I'll gladly treat you to Wilfrid's shandy...laced with lager.  :biggrin:

I would hardly think of this thread as a waste of space here. If you've been helped it's fair use, but I suspect the names and addresses will also be used by those who never thought to ask. Consider your question a contribution. We do.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.