• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puerto Rican Rums?

BuddyC99

Hello all.  I am currently working on a paper for one of my university classes about the longstanding relationship between Puerto Rico and rum.  I was wondering is anyone could kindly help me get a few more bits of info that I've been looking for.

First, what rums are produced in P.R.?  So far I count 14 labels, including: Bacardi, Boca Chica, Captain Morgan, Carioca, Castilla, Don Q, Granado, Llave, Palo Viejo, Ron del Barrilito, Ron Matusalem, Ron Merito, Ronrico, and Trigo.  Any that I've missed?  Do you know where I can find detailed info aobut these distilleries?  So far I've found websites for Bacardi, Captain Morgan, and Don Q.

Second, does anyone know, or know where I can find out, how many gallons of rum Puerto Rico produces per year?  I know this sounds like one of those things that'd be easier to find, but I've been stumped.

Any help on either of those would be great.  Thanks to this paper, my knowledge of the art of rum and rum making has increased greatly.  It is a very fascinating topic, and I hope to learn much more in the future.

- Buddy

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy c99.... welcome to the forum with your inquiry . This topic is worth a book or two just in itself. But I have not found one as yet. To start with your list is of lables, brands,distileries etc. But the only three distileries left are Destileria Seralles (Don Q, Captain Morgan etc) , Bacardi ( with multiple brands and bulk rums shipped to their other blending and bottling plants. Also a third distilery at Arecibo (which I think is linked with Bacardi). So you have Brand names and distilery names listed together, (also a couple of brand names that no longer exist).

But for the real information that you are requesting ,You need to go direct to the following sourse website. I could not find much information there, but I did not spend much time digging. But it does give some contact addresses, phone numbers.

So try.... WWW.pridco.com

This is the site for the PUERTO RICO INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY. established in 1942 by the Government of Puerto Rico. You are looking for the "RUMS OF PUERTO RICO" department. This department has taken care of all PR Rums business.

I suggest that you contact them direct. by phone of mail and ask for management, not just for a leaflet mailed out by reception.

Rums of PuertoRico

Puerto Rico Industrial Development Company

Government of Puerto Rico

660 Fifth Avenue NY.NY. 10103-1599

phone:-  787 765 2900

also a general site to look at ...... WWW.welcome.topuertorico.org

A book well worth reading which is the bible to rum enthusiasts..."RUM--Yesterday and Today"             by Hugh Barty-King & Anton Massell.(printed 1983.Heinemann-London)  Available in some libraryies and by second hand E shopping .....WWW.bookfinder.com    This book is well worth the hunt for, with a good chapter on Puerto Rico.

With more recent news of Seagrams being sold and various brand names ownership being disputed Puerto Rico rum industry is going through an upheaval.

Good luck with the paper, I would be interested in reading it when you have completed it.I can be contacted by email.  

JOHN REEKIE

"BuddyC99"......I forgot to mention a site also worth visiting. That is a list and pictures of many rum labels. Petr does not distinguish between present and past, and I wish they were dated at least as to when he got them. But you can tell by the graphics and design as to what is old,and might be out of date. Dont forget that this is a 'collection' and part history and also not totaly up to date with new labels. Click on to the individual labels to expand, then read the small print this is where the real story lives. ie:- multiple brands by the same distillery.              Petr Hlousek  Rum Labels......    www.rum.cz

Good Luck !

John Reekie