• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vouvray

Freckles

Salut, tout le monde:

Im spending a glorious weekend with friends in Azay-le-Rideau. Driving back to Paris tomorrow night but wanted to visit some producers and pick up some Vouvray on the way home. I have my Guide Hachette 2005 with me, but I do find that once mentioned in the Guide, producers do tend to "up" their prices. Also, sadly, all well-priced wines that receive mention tend to be long-sold out! Do you have any favourite producers that you recommend I visit? Price is not a concern, but value is :raz:

Thanks so much.

Freckles

I've often found that the best wines in France are to be found at little producers with little signs directing you to their "Cave". In your area you should see a bunch of these signs, just keep trying. They will all, of course, let you taste and sample, some even have some cheese. I always try to buy from the ones with the cutest dogs!! :smile:

Edited by menton1 (log)

We were just there in January.

Had a private tasting at Prince Poniatowski's place, Clos Baudoin, Aigle D'or, it's really fantastic stuff! They aren't open to the general public, but the wine is super!!!!

Maybe if you call a day in advance?

Also, if you get to Chinon not very far away, Fabrice Gasnier is good....

We stayed in Saumur, great area...

Near Poitier there is a great winery, but that's about 45 minutes south.

Frederic Brochet is Poitiers/Haut Poitou = Marigny Neuf & Aranance B. Organic and delicious.

Philly Francophiles

Ended up visiting Domaine Huet and Champalou.  Picked up 6 bottles at each.  Thanks for your help!

How were they price-wise?

Let us know whether it was value for money once you get the corks out... :smile:

PS

Edinburgh

Don't think I'm going to pop out these corks in quite a while. I've been told that these sweet and semi-sweet Vouvrays last forever, only getting more interesting with every year. So, I'll let you know in 2011 ;)

Don't think I'm going to pop out these corks in quite a while.  I've been told that these sweet and semi-sweet Vouvrays last forever, only getting more interesting with every year.  So, I'll let you know in 2011  ;)

You are quite right . The wines from Huet improve with age and last a long time.

I had a 1924 recently .It was unbeleivable .The fruit was intense and multilayered.

the wine was not demi sec any more it was completely dry.

Dang, that's fantastic! Not sure I'm going to be around that long -- or have so much will power to keep it in the cellar for such an impressive amount of time -- but I hope that I'll enjoy it in 4 or 5 years.