• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

is Ron Havana Club 3 años...

is Ron Havana Club 3 años still being made?

or is Ron Havana Club Añejo Blanco our best alternative? :raz:

On Havana-club.com they show both Añejo Blanco and Añejo 3 Años. They also now show the Añejo Especial where it wasn't on the site before, so I would presume the Añejo 3 Años is still in production.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

thanks for the info; is the Añejo Especial the one that's kind of Amber or Gold in Colour?  seems like there was some named Añejo de Oro;

had some of it, a couple of years back, was pretty good, but not as good to me, as the regular Añejo

The Añejo Especial is indeed the gold one. It's the the bottle in the middle on the website between the two white rums and the Reserva and 7 year old rums.

I think the Oro is likely very similar to the Añejo Especial, perhaps just new packaging, or a different name in different countries. Ed Hamilton may be able to shed some light on that. I recently got a bottle of the Añejo Especial but have yet to crack it open.

Thanks,

K

• 3 weeks later...

I finally cracked open the bottle of Añejo Especial and liked it very much. It had a strong, but not overpowering aroma and a smooth taste. Some rums (esp Cruzan Single Barrel) have too strong a taste for me, but the Especial was very good, both straight and mixed with a little coca cola.

The Añejo Especial was lighter in color, taste and aroma than both the Añejo Reserva and the 7 year old but certainly wasn't lacking in quality. Hopefull I'll get out of the country soon to snag a couple more bottles.

Thanks,

Kevin