• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ulana's (2nd & Bainbridge)

deprofundis

The dance club Ulana's actually doubles as a french/continental restaurant. I go to the dance club every once in a while, but I've never known anybody who's actually eaten at Ulana's. I've also never come across any reviews of the place anywhere. Has anybody ever actually dined at Ulana's? Check out their website. There's links to the menu at the bottom. I figure the place can't be that good if it gets absolutely no press or word-of-mouth buzz. But look at their menu. Escargot? Puff pastry with shrimp & scallops in mushroom cream sauce? Sounds like they might be doing some serious cooking there!

Escargot is pretty hard to mess up. I have only had it at Steak and Ale, which is apparently a fairly second rate steakhouse, but still, the escargot appetizer is hard to beat. Then again, anything drowning in butter, herbs, and parmesan is bound to be tasty.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Is it just me, or does the Steak and Ale menu not seem to offer escargot, per se? I'm all for poetic license, but...

"ESCARGOT

Baked mushroom caps in a garlic butter sauce, topped with shredded Parmesan cheese."

http://www.steakandale.com/menu_dinner.htm

or do they put snails on top of the mushroom caps?

I've got nothing against the Steak and Ale, but I couldn't help wondering how much escargot they move on a regular basis. But you're right, even pencil erasers in garlic butter sauce with parmesan would be pretty good.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

But look at their menu.  Escargot?  Puff pastry with shrimp & scallops in mushroom cream sauce?  Sounds like they might be doing some serious cooking there!

Shrimp & scallops in mushroom cream sauce is hardly adventurous. The varenyky appetizer may fit that category, but I find it difficult to understand how caviar can enhance an potato dumpling with onions. And mussels in puff pastry just sounds plain wrong. Based only on a review of the on-line menu, I think there may be a reason why you never hear anyone praising the food.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

But you're right, even pencil erasers in garlic butter sauce with parmesan would be pretty good.

Escargot ARE pencil erasers in garlic butter! It's a vehicle for getting the garlic butter to your mouth, much as gefilte fish is a delivery system for horseradish. It's so we aren't seen downing shots of garlic butter in public. :biggrin:

I ate at Ulana's a gazillion years ago when I was a young and frisky Penn undergrad. I went on a very nice date there, with a very handsome and gallant young man. I recall the food being pretty good (note - I have no idea if the ownership has changed since then, but I'd be stunned if the same chef from 1982 was still there!) But moreso I remember the date being really fun because he was a professional dance instructor and a great lead, so we tore up the floor after dinner. It was a blast. Sadly, I was madly in unrequited love with my statistics T.A. at the time and couldn't really give the guy a fair shot. My girlfriends all thought I was nuts. Turns out they were right. It's a shame because if I knew then what I know now, I should have stuck with my date. <sigh> Definitely not one of my better decisions that still haunts me to this day. Alas, foolish youth. :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The dance club Ulana's actually doubles as a french/continental restaurant.  I go to the dance club every once in a while, but I've never known anybody who's actually eaten at Ulana's.  I've also never come across any reviews of the place anywhere.  Has anybody ever actually dined at Ulana's?  Check out their website.  There's links to the menu at the bottom.  I figure the place can't be that good if it gets absolutely no press or word-of-mouth buzz.  But look at their menu.  Escargot?  Puff pastry with shrimp & scallops in mushroom cream sauce?  Sounds like they might be doing some serious cooking there!

Looks very much like the menu in place when I waited tables there in 1981. Jesus. They used to do a nice couple of fondues, when no one but the Chesse Cellar was doing them. Romantic, grotto-like room downstairs, ditzy Ukrainian owner. Cant believe it's still open; Ive never driven by and seen the place showing even a slight sign of life.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I LOVE the expression on the guy's face on their website's home page...

About 20 years ago, I recall some folks in the biz cattily dismissing Ulana's as a vanity project, more of a hobby than a business. I have no idea if that is or was true, it's hard to imagine keeping a place open THAT long if nobody was eating there! But as the original post mentioned, I don't recall ever seeing a review, or ever talking to anyone who ate there.

In the last several years, I think their focus has been more on being a nightclub, or renting the space out to promoters, featuring everything from jazz to Goa Trance DJs.

Of course, none of that has any bearing on whether the food's any good. Rich is right, the menu looks pretty 1980s. And Katie's right, the chef has surely changed 473 times since Rich waited tables. So, who knows? Has anybody here eaten anything there in the last decade or two?

(And Katie, who can blame you? Dance instructors? feh! Stat TAs at Penn were famous the world over for being smokin' hot. A standard deviation or two above the mean, if you know what I mean. )

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

It must be the same owner from way back when, because I just saw Ulana in there a few days ago. I just noticed that website hasn't been updated in 7 years!! I think people are right that it's more of a hobby than a serious restaurant. Even on club nights the place doesn't get too packed. How do they stay in business? lol

How do they stay in business? lol

Having just itemized on my taxes, I'm guessing a failing nightclub is a pretty good write off.

Even on club nights the place doesn't get too packed.

Oh I dunno about that. I've seen the hipsters and the goths spilling out into the street in front of the club many a night. This place is all of about 4 doors from my front door, so I have to drive right by it on my way home from anywhere. Looks crowded maybe one night per weekend. But that still can't generate enough revenue to be considered a success. Unless its successfully being a great write off as I suspected above.

now see, folks, y'all should plan a dinner there--that would put the 'dangerous' into the DDC.

:hmmm: That could be interesting. I wonder if there really even is a chef anymore. I haven't seen anyone go in/out of the Bainbridge side "restaurant" entrance since I went through that door in 1982! I only see the club kids going in and out on the 2nd Street corner entrance.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

It's so we aren't seen downing shots of garlic butter in public.  :biggrin:

hmmmm, new drink special at the SSOH?

Oh heavens no! We garlic butter addicts need to keep it on the down low. The escargot is the perfect cover.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

(And Katie, who can blame you? Dance instructors? feh! Stat TAs at Penn were famous the world over for being smokin' hot. A standard deviation or two above the mean, if you know what I mean. )

I mean, obviously I too have a geek fetish, but Penn stats TA's? :huh:

I lived on 2nd in Queen Village for a couple of years so I used to walk by Ulana's all the time. I never saw any business there, I just assumed they had some semi-legal sideline going or something.