• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vin de repas

carswell

Am seeking a translation of the French term vin de repas, literally "meal wine." As I understand it, the term is used to describe still dry and off-dry wines of any colour that one typically consumes with food, as opposed to fortified wines, bubblies, dessert wines, wine coolers, etc. The English term "table wine" includes this meaning, at least according Merriam Webster's ("an unfortified wine containing not more than 14 percent alcohol by volume and usually suitable for serving with food"); however, as the Oxford Companion to Wine points out, "The term 'table wine' has a specific meaning within the European Union ... and is applied to all wine produced within it that does not qualify as superior quality wine." So, if one were to use "table wine" only as a translation of vin de table, vino de mesa, Tafelwein, etc., how should one translate vin de repas?

Am seeking a translation of the French term vin de repas, literally "meal wine." As I understand it, the term is used to describe still dry and off-dry wines of any colour that one typically consumes with food, as opposed to fortified wines, bubblies, dessert wines, wine coolers, etc. The English term "table wine" includes this meaning, at least according Merriam Webster's ("an unfortified wine containing not more than 14 percent alcohol by volume and usually suitable for serving with food"); however, as the Oxford Companion to Wine points out, "The term 'table wine' has a specific meaning within the European Union ... and is applied to all wine produced within it that does not qualify as superior quality wine." So, if one were to use "table wine" only as a translation of vin de table, vino de mesa, Tafelwein, etc., how should one translate vin de repas?

I don't think one could.

...how should one translate vin de repas?
Wine of the meal.
As I understand it, the term is used to describe still dry and off-dry wines of any colour that one typically consumes with food, as opposed to fortified wines, bubblies, dessert wines, wine coolers, etc.
This is correct.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera