• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhubarb

JSD

For all manner of rhubarb recipes check The Rhubarb Compendium at http://www.rhubarbinfo.com. Many pie, cake, cookie, jam, jelly, etc. recipes; no description for use as shoe polish however.

I make a well-received cake using a commercial yellow cake mix topped with finely cut rhubarb and a bit of sugar. In baking, the rhubarb falls to the bottom to make a tasty sauce.

Note that acidity of rhubarb varies with the variety. Mine is Victoria which is relatively mild while having good flavor. The neighbor has an unknown variety which must be a boon to the sugar industry.

Reinald

For all manner of rhubarb recipes check The Rhubarb Compendium at http://www.rhubarbinfo.com.  Many pie, cake, cookie, jam, jelly, etc. recipes;  no description for use as shoe polish however.

I make a well-received cake using a commercial yellow cake mix topped with finely cut rhubarb and a bit of sugar.  In baking, the rhubarb falls to the bottom to make a tasty sauce.

Note that acidity of rhubarb varies with the variety.  Mine is Victoria which is relatively mild while having good flavor.  The neighbor has an unknown variety which must be a boon to the sugar industry.

Reinald

Sounds like it might make a quite nice Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake, too!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Fell in love with rhubarb when I lived in France. Don't know why it isn't more popular here in the States.

Martha Stewart has some nice rhubarb recipes. Here's one for Nicole's Rhubarb-Strawberry Pavlova

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

In honor of New Year's Eve, I decided to make a bunch of ill-assorted stuff that might get me over some ennui of the table and a languid appetite. To wit, mushroom pizza, cooked in my biggest Lodge skillet, shrimp cocktail with sauce courtesy of Crosse and Blackwell, and:

Rhubarb Crumble! I used the recipe from the new Martha Stewart "Baking Handbook."a Christmas present from my husband. As Garrison Keillor says, there's nothing like rhubarb to kill the taste of fear and humiliation. And yes, I'm using frozen rhubard, which bubbled up pretty and pink.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com