• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wasabi

Wayne

Has anyone found wasabi root in any of Toronto's markets? I've seen it in

Seattle and know it is being grown in the Pacific Northwest. I've also

seen a Country Canada story documenting it's cultivation in B.C.

I haven't seen it at Sanko, Little Tokyo, JapanTown, T&T, or the Spadina

Chinatown grocery stores I've checked out.

If you've seen any, or know of a source, please let me know.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

My advice would be to seek out a restaurant that uses fresh wasabi and inquire where they purchase it from.

A lot of stores won't carry it as it is very expensive and (from my own experience)

has a short shelf life. We get it quite regularly here due to the close proximity to the farms that grow it.

Perhaps when you inquire at the restaurant, you might offer to purchase some from them as it might be easier than conducting a long frustrating search only to come up empty.

We get these kinds of requests all the time where I work and most (if not all) restaurants would be more than happy to accomodate you although a good course of action would be to eat there when you ask. :biggrin:

Hope this helps.

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

This is a link to an American wasabi grower (used to be the only American wasabi grower - don't know if this is still true).

www.freshwasabi.com

They now are providers to a number of "top" restaurants and are exporting to Japan as well. They used to sell the unprocessed root, but apparently this is no longer the case.

I've bought the root as well as the paste in the past. It's great. I've even hooked up a few sushi chefs in the NYC area with some of each and they liked it and now order from this company.

(BTW, I am in no way connected to this company. I read an article about it in the Wall Street Journal a few years back and decided to check it out. Cool story, too. If I remember correctly, the owner basically was paid for a bad invesmtent with watery land in Oregon. He researched how wasabi is farmed for a number of years - it turns out the Japanese growers were extremely reluctant to let their farming secrets out. Then started growing. The process is apparently pretty involved.)

Knowledge is good.

This is a link to an American wasabi grower (used to be the only American wasabi grower - don't know if this is still true).

www.freshwasabi.com

They now are providers to a number of "top" restaurants and are exporting to Japan as well.  They used to sell the unprocessed root, but apparently this is no longer the case.

I've bought the root as well as the paste in the past.  It's great.  I've even hooked up a few sushi chefs in the NYC area with some of each and they liked it  and now order from this company. 

(BTW, I am in no way connected to this company.  I read an article about it in the Wall Street Journal a few years back and decided to check it out.  Cool story, too.  If I remember correctly, the owner basically was paid for a bad invesmtent with watery land in Oregon.  He researched how wasabi is farmed for a number of years - it turns out the Japanese growers were extremely reluctant to let their farming secrets out.  Then started growing.  The process is apparently pretty involved.)

sorry about that last one...... :blink:

try Taro's Fish 905 944 1377

he's in Japantown complex at steeles and woodbine

amazing selection of fish.. occasionally has fresh produce (herbs, etc. from japan)

he's carried it before

just spoke to Taro- he orders from Japan on Fridays- receives on the following Wednesday- if you request you could probably get it by next week...hmm...think I'll get some

BTW if you've never used it, let it sit and oxidize for a couple of minutes before using; if you taste it fresh grated it's almost bland

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into Taro. I've also found a B.C.

supplier so I can find out who they supply in Toronto.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?