• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

khoubz bil zaatar

I have come to love khoubz bil zaatar, aka manaish, manakeesh, manaesh, etc

In Toledo, OH, there is a fabulous bakery (Tiger bakery) that makes this daily. The last time I had fresh manaish was in Paris at the Lenoir market, where there is a Lebanese man who cooks it over a special grill.

My mother-in-law, bless her soul, tried to make it for me, but her dough is too thick. We have resorted to using pita bread, which we drizzle with oil and sprinklewith zaatar. Alas, there is no Arabic bakery here in Charlotte, so we can only get decent pita when we travel to Charleston or Atlanta.

Can I used Elie's recipe for khoubz araby?

Absolutely. In fact, in Lebanon you can usually buy man'oush from bakeries that make arabic bread, since it is the same dough.

This reminds me of the first time I tried Arabic bread in the States. In France there are more North African Arabs, in the States more Middle Eastern Arabs. Anyway, she tells me that pita bread is Arabic bread to which I replied, "not to this Arab." :raz:

I know that there is some crossover with flat breads from the Maghreb and the Middle East, but pita isn't one of them. Although I do enjoy pita bread now.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Which I love, by the way.

(At least, the Moroccan version which is the only kind I've had -- hopefully without going too far off topic, is the Algerian stuff similar?)

Well, if i may add a few suggestions for a frenchified version of mana'ich, (a thing or two i grew up with as a french lebanese :smile: ):

For all of these, zaatar is intially mixed with olive oil, i like mine to "run" somewhat so i add more oil than usual:

zaatar on an open baguette toasted,

zaatar on pain de mie toasted

zaatar stuffed in croissant warmed in the oven

zaatar on puffed pastry baked (my favorite)

And for the stuff i learned here in the US:

zaatar on pillsbury crescent dough.

*Now i was highly dubious about this one until my step mother from lebanon came to visist us here and made this for breakfast. Trust me, it is phenomenal..*

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Yeah yeah yeah. Y'all eat that weird frenchified stuff. :raz:

Ha ha ha! :laugh:

We have a version of Kesra made just with semolina, salt and water. It's about 1/2" thick and cooked on a griddle. Can you imagine the density? My kids love it. But my wife always jokes that the Algerians must have used them as weapons during the fight for independance against the French. So there! We like our ancient stuff too. :raz:

Dean of Culinary Arts

(At least, the Moroccan version which is the only kind I've had -- hopefully without going too far off topic, is the Algerian stuff similar?)

Algerian version of what?

Dean of Culinary Arts

Algerian version of what?

"arabic" bread.

Yes it's similar. Also flatbreads in Algeria is probably similar to other non-pita Middle Eastern flatbreads. But we probably have more versions made with semolina. Are there Middle Eastern flat breads made from semolina?

Dean of Culinary Arts

Does anyone has a good recipe on how you make good Zaatar. I've bought a big packet of Sumac the other day.

I will not profess to being an expert, but since Chefzadi did not give amounts, I will assume that is because zaatar recipes vary widely. However, here is a starting point - recipe is from Anissa Hanou's Mediterranean Street Food

2 parts powdered dried thyme

1 part sumac

1/2 part toasted sesame seeds

salt to taste

Note to Chefzadi - Hanou says in her book that the Algerian flat bread called m'arek or m'hajjib, is a large flat bread with a spicey filling. Do you have a recipe?

I make mana'ish at my house a couple of times a month for breakfast. I use the same recipe I have for pita bread, but I add a little more olive oil to the dough.

Just roll it as thin or as thick as you like, keeping in mind that it will puff a little in the hot oven. Spread the za'atar mixture on top and bake.

Everyone likes their man'oochi (mana'ish is plural) different. I like mine a little thick, and slightly underbaked. This results in a chewy, fluffy pie that can be spread with labneh, chopped tomatoes, olives aned mint and rolled up. This has to be one of my favorite meals. Others, like my dear grandma, like theirs crispy and overbaked. The baker (one of them) in our town used to always ask if I am taking any for grandma so she can bake a couple of pies for a longer time. Another variation is the amount of topping. SOme like a bare trace of za'atar, others a thick layer of the stuff!! I'm sort of in between and like zeitoun mentioned, I like to add extra oil so it is runny.

Whenever I make these I always make sure to make a couple with cheese topping, not za'atar, my wife loves those. These are usually called "fatayer bil jibn" or "mana'ish bil jibn". Try also making one pie with half cheese and half za'atar and fold in half once baked so you'll have both flavors in every bite, this is just awsome.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Elie, now you've got me craving the damned things...My friends and I used to buy a cheese man'oush almost every day on our walk to school. Best breakfast ever. :smile:

What kind of cheese do you use?

I, too, like the fluffier version of zaatar man'oosh. My dad always used to buy us the dried-out crispy kind on our way to Beirut, never my favorite. (Though as a good daughter I never told him that :wink:)

We are still planning to go this June. (Could it really get any worse than the war was?) I am looking forward to introducing A. to the many wonders of Lebanese street food.

Note to Chefzadi - Hanou says in her book that the Algerian flat bread called m'arek or m'hajjib, is a large flat bread with a spicey filling. Do you have a recipe?

I'm not familiar with those names or that cookbook. The naming of dishes in North Africa, Algeria in particular is highly idiosyncratic. An Algerian flat bread with a spicy stuffing could be made with Foodmans dough, the mixture might be pureed chickpeas, caraway seeds, cumin, sumac, minced garlic, finely chopped herbs such as thyme and Algerian felfel. The spices should be ground.

There is also Kessra with a felfel spread on top.

EDIT" the first bread I mentioned is known as Kalentika.

Edited by chefzadi (log)

Dean of Culinary Arts

We are still planning to go this June. (Could it really get any worse than the war was?) I am looking forward to introducing A. to the many wonders of Lebanese street food.

Some Lebanese friends of mine go back every year. Family home and all that. Last summer they had a blast. Came back to LA with Med sun kissed tans and all. :rolleyes:

Is the sun just better in the Mid and Maghreb or what? We got it good. :biggrin:

Dean of Culinary Arts

• 1 month later...

Yesterday was is affectionatly known in my house as "cheese-pie Sunday". The reason for that is because whenever I make those, it inevitably is a Sunday. So, now it is a tradition :smile:.

Here are the three types of breakfats pies (or manaish) I typically make:

gallery_5404_94_47356.jpg

the one in the front is the traditional Za'atar pie, the one with the white topping is the cheese variety. The orange one is topped with Kishik (or Kishk). For those who do not know, kishik is similar to the Greek Tarhana. It is made by mixing yogurt with burgul, letting it ferment, sun drying it and grinding it into a semi-powder. Need I say that I did not do all that myself? The Kishik is mixed with chopped tomatoes, onions, chilies, salt and olive oil and spread on the dough. It really is divine. hmm...I think a kishik thread is in order :smile:

Here are my favorite garnishes that go with the za'tar manaish:

gallery_5404_94_119979.jpg

Labneh, tomatoes, onions, mint and olives.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Yesterday was is affectionatly known in my house as "cheese-pie Sunday". The reason for that is because whenever I make those, it inevitably is a Sunday. So, now it is a tradition :smile:.

This all looks great Elie, do you actually mix all these ingredients to garnish your manaish??

I generally like the combo of zaatar/tomato alone or zaatar/olives (green lebanese ones)/labneh.

I never thought of combining mint with zaatar, will try that next time...

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

This all looks great Elie, do you actually mix all these ingredients to garnish your manaish??

I generally like the combo of zaatar/tomato alone or zaatar/olives (green lebanese ones)/labneh.

I never thought of combining mint with zaatar, will try that next time...

Yeah, I sort of do mix them up in the following order: smear of Labneh, then onions, then tomatoes, then olives and mint leaves.

You can get them like this at lots of bakerys in Lebanon, especially the ones that use the Saj to bake the pies. Most of them actually also add sliced fresh cucumbers as well. This is know as "Manoochi bil Khodra" or meaning Manooshi with veggies. I like to drink either hot tea with them, Ayran or ice cold 7UP :smile:

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Looks great Elie.

Is raw onion a really popular addition in Lebanese dining?

I would say yes, even for some breakfast items like this one or like stewed fava beans with lemon and mint or hummus. I can think of many other examples as well.

Eli

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

LoL@FoodMan.

Really appetising stuff. My latest crave is to order Manaeech Maa Khodra and dribble all over the car carpet. LoL. My GF orders Lahm B'aajin bel jebneh but I stick to the old Manousheh.

Having said that and in case FoodMan house is too far for the members. The easiest way is to mix Zaatar with EVOlive oil to paste form and spread on toast or arabic flat bread and place a mint leaf with a cut piece of tomato and enjoy. You might wish to add cottage cheese if labneh not available.

If you want to be wicked, add hot powder pimentos or paprika. (slowly)

Edited by Almass (log)

Here are the three types of breakfats pies (or manaish) I typically make:

gallery_5404_94_47356.jpg

the one in the front is the traditional Za'atar pie, the one with the white topping is the cheese variety. The orange one is topped with Kishik (or Kishk). For those who do not know, kishik is similar to the Greek Tarhana. It is made by mixing yogurt with burgul, letting it ferment, sun drying it and grinding it into a semi-powder. Need I say that I did not do all that myself? The Kishik is mixed with chopped tomatoes, onions, chilies, salt and olive oil and spread on the dough. It really is divine. hmm...I think a kishik thread is in order :smile:

Elie

Again Fantastic stuff. My wife is using your recipes to make for her parents. I'll be incorporating your flat bread recipe into a class. Of course it will be called "Elie Nassar's recipe."

Dean of Culinary Arts

• 1 year later...