• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Conversation with Nancy Nichols

Richard Kilgore

Imagine an editor allowing the sentence, "The squab was perhaps the finest I'd ever eaten, though I must admit I was treated to it by the restaurant's publicist."

When Fat guy writes that in the forums, I don't distrust him, I'm just jealous.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The Conversation with Nancy Nichols is now closed to new questions and comments from members of the eGullet Society, so that Nancy can respond and make her final comments today.

R:

Never ate at Trio when Chef Achatz was there. And, for the record, I didn't credit him over Homaro Cantu at Moto. But, according to what I've read and heard from others, Achatz is doing a lot of the same things. Again, it sounds like an experience that would be amusing to try, but would I potentially be a repeat "haute space food" diner? Doubt it.

Richard,

First of all, thanks to you for inviting me on this journey through eGullet. It is certainly a well-educated, opinionated group of foodies and I like that. Food and dining are a passion in my life and sharing the conversation with others heightens it. My story is rather boring and rather fluky. I grew up in Dallas and worked in restaurants during my stay at University of Texas at Austin. I moved to LA where I was in the catering and event business. I’ve known the publisher of D Magazine, Wick Allison for 25 years. When I returned to Dallas in the early ‘90s I bumped into him at a baseball game and we just struck up a conversation. He hired me to do some events for the magazine and before I knew it, I fell into writing reviews to help the overburdened edit staff. The rest, as they say, is history. They’re all gone and I’m still here. It has been a fun ride since so much has happened under my watch--dress up dining isn’t just The Mansion on Turtle Creek, you can find cutting edge cuisine in a city famous for BBQ, and the talent and the camaraderie of the local chefs is truly amazing. I look forward to keeping up with other eGullet conversations. Thanks again.

Nancy

Thanks again to Nancy for spending the week with us and taking the time to respond to so many questions and comments. Thanks also to all those members who participated in this discussion. And finally, thanks to those in the wings who helped make this possible, including Dave Scantland (Dave the Cook) and Brooks Mayhew (Mayhaw Man).

Stay tuned for future events in the Conversations with Texas Food Writers Series.