• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Combating Kosher

bripastryguy

I have been proposed with the opportunity to run an existing company that makes Italian specialities at the moment but wishes to add a more upscale line. The place is huge, more than enough room (for my much needed expansion of Sweet Karma) to consolidate everything in house from scratch (including chocolote work, tart shells, puff dough and danish dough etc...). Some retooling is necessary and modernization is in place but needs an update. My only major problem is that the facility is Kosher (Italian specialities, Kosher!?) They do make 1 non kosher item that is not cooked or baked, just assembled and packaged. How do I make my desserts ( that I've had success with in the past) Kosher and still retain their integrity? I am not opposed to using items like non-dairy whipped topping and such, but would still like to stay in the realm I have been offering my existing customers not to sell out for some $$$ (which is inevetiable)

Its like a dream, they have all the tools: cookie depositors, sheeters, 140 qt mixers, rack ovens, fryers, 4000 sq ft freezer. We plan to build a somewhat blast freezer with more than normal compressor and blower configuration.

Its still the Kosher thing I cant get past, it blows the mind, and to make it worse I'm Jewish!

Help

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

You need to be more specific. Is it dairy or parve? What ingredients are you using that need replacing? DO they need replacing or are you just panicking? :smile:

My family's been in the kosher food business for most of my life.... my mom started it by baking kosher high-end tortes (hence the name of the company Desserts Plus).

I'm happy to help, but need to know where your problems are. There is a lot of stuff out there that's available for you (as long as you're willing to sub which you said you were).

But I have to tell you right now... I have no idea how the parve puff pastry we bring in smells so much like butter... it's almost scary :raz:

Hi Brian,

Come to Israel and I will take you to some excellent Kosher Bakeries. You can write it off as a business trip. :rolleyes:

Are you only going to be making parve desserts?

Most bakeries here make both.

Here is a website that will give you an idea of what the bakeries produce here.

He sells to restaurants all over Israel, like what you are doing and they taste good. The mousse cakes do not all taste like coconut.

Ben Ami Bakery

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I'm just a home baker. But I'll be happy to try and help.

Parve desserts can be a pain in the ass. As you know, margerine bakes differently than butter. And although I've been reasonably happy with the results of normal margerine in cakes, I've been working with the Healthy Balance which is trans-fat free and I'm having mixed results.

You might want to contact the PC at Solo and talk with him about how he is managing. I recently sampled some of his pastry and they were really good -- the dough was so flakey I couldn't believe it didn't have butter in it. His name is Morgan Larrson. I believe he used to be at Aquavit.

You can check out his menu here.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

(Italian specialities, Kosher!?) Help

I've encountered kosher Italian bakeries here and there, so there must be a market for it.

If the bakery is kept kosher under rabbinical supervision, you might try contacting the organization that provides the certification. They maybe be able to give you some guidance as to what they would consider acceptable ingredients for dairy, parve, and so on, what can be mixed with what.

I've been told (by the proofreader who worked on it) that the book How To Keep Kosher, by Lise Stern is very good guide to the basic rules of kashrut.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I think I maybe panicking.......

Ofcourse the gelatin sheets must be replaced and I have found good Kosher chocolate both milk and white (alittle at ease now)

The place is dairy as well as there is a few pieces of equipment designated for Parve.

I will really need to experiment with the gelatin subs, how the hell does Jello have a U and a K on it?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

If you're dairy you'll have an easy-time of it. You'll be shocked at how many things have a hechshar. Yes, the kosher gelatin is an issue - it's also one area I don't have much experience with. Funny enough, it's on my list of things to start expirementing with. Let us know which one you find works for you.

As for the U and the K. I assume you mean circle-U ... and it depends on the K. Some companies who don't actually have kosher supervision slap a plain-old-k on a box so people think it's kosher. It may not be. Other, more styalized K's are the symbols of different supervisory boards. Depending on where things are made, they can and sometimes do have double (or triple) certification. Meaning more than one board gives them the OK. If you have the O-U though, you're pretty much good to go. There aren't many people who won't accept O-U.

(A great kosher chocolate is Callebaut)

If you have any more specific questions, ask! And let me know about the gelatin ;)

BTW, Scharffenberger is kosher - KSA. El Rey is certified, but I don't know how reliable it is and they never responded to my e-mail. And some Dagoba products are kosher as well.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs