• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

35 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

wow.  seldom have I seen more absurdity on the web....

using "1 tsp salt" the best it comes up with is 0.099 ounces per teaspoon.

everyone in Europe - where tsp is not so common... - has a scale that will measure 0.099 ounces

Not sure what you're looking at.  When I do the search it says 6 grams per teaspoon (Edit: 0.2116 oz).  I just measured 1 tsp of table salt and it was 7 grams (on my scale that only measures to the nearest gram).

I measure salt by weight all the time (usually in greater quantities).

Edit: Do people in Europe measure in ounces? I think America is the last bastion of that antiquated measurement system.

IndyRob

IndyRob

19 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

everyone in Europe - where tsp is not so common... - has a scale that will measure 0.099 ounces

Not sure what you're looking at.  When I do the search it says 6 grams per teaspoon.  I just measured 1 tsp of table salt and it was 7 grams (on my scale that only measures to the nearest gram).

Edit: Do people in Europe measure in ounces? I think America is the last bastion of that antiquated measurement system.

IndyRob

IndyRob

8 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

Not sure what you're looking at.  When I do the search it says 6 grams per teaspoon.  I just measured 1 tsp of table salt and it was 7 grams (on my scale that only measures to the nearest gram).