• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grace Tavern

Holly Moore

Rick Nichols beat me to mentioning Grace Tavern on Grays Ferry at South (See the PA Forum Media Digest). I was there last week and had an excellent Jambalaya. Huge portion for something like $10 washed down by sour ale that went surprising well with the Jambalaya.

Also tried a side order of fries. They are twice fried, like Monk's (Monks owner Tom Peters is one of the partners in Grace Tavern) but, hallelujah, they are not shoe string cut. Considerably thicker - just the way I prefer them. When Monk's first opened I convinced Tom to switch from shoestring to a 1/4 inch cut fried similar to the Belgian fry. Lasted all of two days. Customers overwhelmingly wanted shoestrings.

Next time I order the fries at Grace Tavern, though, I'll order them just with salt, not the spice mix that normally comes with them.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Just to crow a bit I'd like to add that Sansom Street Oyster House got a mention in the Grace Tavern article as well (actually the article was about Po' Boy sandwiches) and a really great mention for John Uglesich of Uglesich's rstaurant in New Orleans. Mr. Uglesich will be our guest author at Book and the Cook this March 19th. Tentative menu is looking pretty tasty.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Went back today for the Oyster Poor Boy. Excellent. Lots of oysters, perfectly cooked. Came with fries and slaw. Slaw was mild, ok. Had the fries with no seasoning. Better. But this time they were shoestring cut. Now I'm wondering if I was looking at the fries with wishful eyes, hoping they were cut larger, or if the heavy seasoning last time doubled the appearance of the fries' size.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The cut size is a moving target. But for the past 6 months they have been consistently cut on the larger side-every now and then reverting back to the Monk style. When Grace first opened they were using Monks as a commissary(the kitchen in Grace was not finished)--i think they still shuttle some stock back and forth.

I like both-as long as they come with the mayo.

The cut size is a moving target.  But for the past 6 months they have been consistently cut on the larger side-every now and then reverting back to the Monk style.    When Grace first opened they were using Monks as a commissary(the kitchen in Grace was not finished)--i think they still shuttle some stock back and forth.

I like both-as long as they come with the mayo.

Thanks for the clarification, and the reassurance that I am not approaching senility, not that there's anything wrong with senility.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 4 weeks later...

Oyster Po Boy Sandwiches for lunch today. Delicious!

Also loved the bread it was served on, and thought the coleslaw was delicious!

As for the fries, they were great too, and I actually loved the remoulade from the sandwich on them.

We ordered a side of blackened grean beans! Wow!

Randy, the bartender we know from Tap and N. 3rd is there on Sunday days.

He gave us a warning, saying they were really spicy...

Yes, they were.

But what a great idea!

Sauteed and blackened spices added, served as an app or munchie with a side of that remoulade. Really good, not for the faint of stomach. $3, I think.

Good bar, good pub. Not only good beer, but a nice selection of wines too. I had a Trimbach Riesling, $7.

This is by far not a restaurant, just a bar with a few items on the menu, and it gets smoky at night, but we really like it.

Philly Francophiles