• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lox

Roejimmy

Looking for some direction here - I have cured salmon (dry cured) before, but from what I gather, NY style lox are brined rather than cured.

Does anybody have any resources they can recommend, or advice to share - my sister and I are opening a small bakery which features bagels, and I would like to experiment with making our own lox...

Wow. That sounds particularly complicated. A 30-35 hour process? Yipes. Leave it to the pros, I say.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I agree with Melissa that Gravlax is easier and just as versatile.

I disagree with the link as posted one critical point however- Sockeye has the highest oil content not Spring Salmon.

Roejimmy-how are you going to source enough Wild Salmon to feed your operation?

The farmed mush on the market won't make a presentable product because it's well....mushy :wacko:

Click Here for a Gravlax making option (not affiliated)

I am completely incredulous! :shock: I have been gravening lax for years with a simple Pyrex dish and some plastic film ... with terrific results ...

and now I find (with your kind assistance, Sam) that I could have spent $50 for a container and some plastic pouches ... whatta relief! :blink:

The Curing Vessel  (my Pyrex casserole dish)

The Granite Compressor Stone (I use a tin foil wrapped brick!)

Five PERFECURE™ Pouches. (cheap plastic wrap here)

The Instruction and Recipe Booklet  (all free on the Net)

(parenthetical comments all mine, of course)

Why didn't I think of this??? :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I am not one to exploits such ingredients but maybe the addition of liquid smoke may be applied to your gravlax for a smoky – LOX flavor??? Lox is smoked, right?? Gravlax is not, right?? I too have used the hotel pan, foil covered brick and plastic wrap. Very easy.

But then again, you can build a cheap smoker from a Styrofoam box, some foil and a thin slotted metal grill.

Ore

I am not one to exploits such ingredients but maybe the addition of liquid smoke may be applied to your gravlax for a smoky – LOX flavor???  Lox is smoked, right??  Gravlax is not, right??

Ore

Smoked salmon is smoked. Lox is not, it's just brined. "Nova Scotia salmon", sometimes called "nova" or "novy" "lox" is lightly smoked salmon; the loxmania 30-35 hour process looks a lot more like nova to me than traditional belly lox. Gravalax is cured in salt and sugar (dill and other flavorings dependent upon to your taste/whim). The addition of liquid smoke to "smoke" salmon sounds terrible;' liquid smoke may be a "natural" product, but that doesn't make it good.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Smoked salmon is smoked. Lox is not, it's just brined. "Nova Scotia salmon", sometimes called "nova" or "novy" "lox" is lightly smoked salmon; the loxmania 30-35 hour process looks a lot more like nova to me than traditional belly lox. Gravalax is cured in salt and sugar (dill and other flavorings dependent upon to your taste/whim).

Here in British Columbia-home of monstrous runs of all 6 species-Lox is Cold Smoked Salmon.

The Loxmania recipe is one way to do things but isn't at all to my taste-no one who followed that abbreviated mishmash of instructions would ever touch a fish of mine.

Gravlax is just cured fish.Great on the barbie.

Here in British Columbia-home of monstrous runs of all 6 species-Lox is Cold Smoked Salmon.

Well, nomenclature is related to location. I was giving the NY-NJ Jewish appetizer store definitions. You go to Tabachnick's and ask for lox, and you'll get unsmoked brined salmon.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Chunk it up and throw it on a smoky fire skin side down-adding a handful of Pine needles or Cedar branches at the same time produces a unique and delicious product.

As you can imagine it cooks in no time you must be standing in front of the Barbie at all times-once you see the fat start to bubble up out of the fish it's done.