• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston

Hank

Jasper White's pan-roasted lobster at Summer Shack is sublime. I also had a very good skate wing at The Blue Room. East Coast Grill has a great raw bar. All of these places are in Cambridge.

Since you specifically said that money is no object, I would eat at Uni which is attached to Clio (the lower level). The restaurant is on the corner of Mass(achusetts) and Comm(onwealth) Avenues in the Back Bay.

The concept is an American chef's interpretation of very high end sashimi. I have never been to Uni but have eaten at Clio and it was quite good.

If not that, then I would try East Coast Grill as others have suggested. It will be significantly less expensive and more casual than Clio or Uni. I think they do a better job with fish than the Legal/Turner/Skipjack restaurants (all of those sort of meld together in my mind as one).

If you are looking for a classic lobster roll Summer Shack is a good choice but the times I have strayed from the roll to the rest of the menu I have been a bit disappointed. Another good lobster roll can be had at the small and trendy B&G Oysters in the South End. In my opinion, their roll is better than Summer Shack but it costs about $10 more (B&G's version is $24). For that $10 you get a slightly more stuffed roll and a trendier scene and only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Another thing you might want to try is Daily Catch on Hanover Street in the north end. Tiny place that is best for lunch but has very good Italian-influenced seafoods on the menu. Their calamari with ink-pasta is really wonderful. Also, if you go there, you can stop off at Maria's pastry or Modern pastry for a cannoli (I'd steer clear of Mike's pastry).

Edited by slbunge (log)

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Uni is a superb non-traditional sushi place (the best in New England). I have eaten there several times with excellent results. Go for omakase, and you won't be disappointed. Clio as a whole is nearly as good, and a better choice if some of your party aren't sushi enthusiasts.

East Coast Grill is excellent as well (I've been probably fifty times), but lacks the over the top experiences of either Clio or Uni. I recommend going to Uni or Clio for your seafood dinner, and the East Coast Grill for brunch the next day.

Edited by japanesegeek (log)

Uni is a superb non-traditional sushi place (the best in New England).  I have eaten there several times with excellent results.  Go for omakase, and you won't be disappointed.  Clio as a whole is nearly as good, and a better choice if some of your party aren't sushi enthusiasts.

East Coast Grill is excellent as well (I've been probably fifty times), but lacks the over the top experiences of either Clio or Uni.  I recommend going to Uni or Clio for your seafood dinner, and the East Coast Grill for brunch the next day.

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Have decided to try Uni Friday and Clio on Saturday as we are leaving a day earlier. Will be happy to report back to every one and let you know about our experiences as I am sure they will be very good.

Hank

• 2 years later...

Oooh boy; as an outsider, not having living in Boston for 50 years (yes, it's my 50th), I found Jasper White's relatively new Summer Shack in Alewife to be but a wilted memory of the old Jasper. Our firsts of fried clams and salad were OK, but the halibut and salmon were disgraces to Boston and the lobster roll and shad roe wrapped in bacon, while somewhat tasty, were not up to standard. Next time, for industrial fish here, I'll do Legal.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris