• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Several wines

Florida Jim

2002 Jumilla, Altos de Luzón:

50% monastrell, 25% cabernet sauvignon, 25% tempranillo; sees French and American oak over 12 months; 14% alcohol; jammy smells (but in a good way) with distinctive cab. fruit aromas coupled nicely with odors of well seasoned smokers pipe, asphalt, warm spices, dark plum and accents of salt and wood smoke – a complex and enticing nose; medium body but quite dense in the mouth, flavors echo the nose, very concentrated, intense, structured, grippy/tannic and long. The Monastrell is dominant across the palate and ripe enough so that one almost tastes the sunshine. The wood is merely a hint here and there and the wine’s overall impression is of excellent complexity.

A delicious wine that will cellar at least medium term.

A Jorge Ordonez selection distributed in FL by Stacole; full retail $15.

2003 Ostertag, Les Vieilles Vignes de Sylvaner:

This had an oddly sour finish and was not particularly interesting in any respect. Not bad or flawed, just not to my taste. Others liked it better.

2003 Burgans, Albariño:

Soft and easily accessible; fuller in the mouth than expected; pleasant wine but ultimately limited. Drink now.

1999 Leroy, Volnay Santenots:

Brilliant. Powerful without being overdone, structured but in balance, focused yet deep; of its place and years to go to peak but lacking nothing, save complexity, in the interim. Volnay may not be the ultimate expression of Burgundy, but this wine will keep me thinking about what is the ultimate expression. A terrific future.

1999 Jean-Luc Colombo, Les Collines de Laurie Syrah:

Maybe a bit musty on the nose but still bacon and Cornas-esque fruit; the palate is clean and echoes the nose (except for the must), nicely integrated but lacking any real punch of authenticity; medium length. A polished rendition of Cornas-like wine that falls short of those origins but is easy to drink and enjoy.

2002 Coudert, Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie:

Decanted one hour; best showing yet with wonderful raspberry, face powder, spice scents and an integrated, deep (maybe somewhat closed) palate, good structure, focus, balance and length. Great wine, thoroughly enjoyed.

1991 Montelena, Cabernet Sauvignon:

A bit of sour oak distracts from an otherwise cassis and mineral nose and palate; good concentration, grippy tannins, focused flavors and little complexity; an almost drying finish. Not it’s best showing and the finish makes me wonder about its shelf life.

2001 Elyse, Cabernet Sauvignon Tietjen Vnyd.:

Big sour oak on the nose nearly eclipses the fruit; better on the palate but somewhat creamy and woody also, excellent fruit flavors, concentration and good balance, nice length. Not my style but I can understand why others enjoyed this more.

2000 Tres Picos, Borsao Garnacha:

Over-ripe, over alcoholic (14.5%), overdone, all of which leave me wondering why it tastes good. But I don’t much like grenache anyway, so I passed on more than a taste. Others enjoyed it.

1998 Castel del Monte, Il Faicone Riserva:

An aglianico and sangiovese mix that has just a touch too much earth/wood on the palate but is otherwise terrific juice. If time will heal the wood problem (and I think it will) this could be spectacular. (BTW, the label was in such bad shape, I am not sure of the name of the producer or the spelling of the name.)

1994 Flora Springs, Trilogy:

A sort of softened version of what this wine has always been with just a little too much oak on the nose. Not a bad wine but nothing that makes me want to cellar it for a decade. Drink now.

2001 Bruno Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba Valmaggiore:

There are not enough superlatives to describe this beautifully perfumed, medium weight, utterly authentic nebbiolo. A truly complex wine drinking very well now but in no danger of fading. Wines like this are such a pleasure . . .

1991 Schramsberg, Blanc de Blanc Champagne (magnum):

From the days when CA could use the word champagne on the label. As I was opening this I felt very little pressure against the cork until the very last moment; and that worried me. But this was not only delicious but answered two questions I have had for many years: why does one age champagne? and, does champagne go with dinner?

A lot of people whose opinions I respect have talked favorably about both aging these wines and about the variety of foods they go with but I had not experienced anything that reinforced those opinions. Now, I have.

This had many very energetic streams of tiny bubbles and retained them throughout the evening. It had deep pear, apple and melon scents and flavors accented with clay and stone elements. Mouth filling, mellow, light on the palate but quite intense and, perhaps best of all, an extraordinarily persistent finish. Genuinely superb!

Went as well with cauliflower casserole as with grilled tuna; an eye-opening experience.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

1991 Schramsberg, Blanc de Blanc Champagne (magnum):

From the days when CA could use the word champagne on the label. As I was opening this I felt very little pressure against the cork until the very last moment; and that worried me. But this was not only delicious but answered two questions I have had for many years: why does one age champagne? and, does champagne go with dinner?

A lot of people whose opinions I respect have talked favorably about both aging these wines and about the variety of foods they go with but I had not experienced anything that reinforced those opinions. Now, I have.

This had many very energetic streams of tiny bubbles and retained them throughout the evening. It had deep pear, apple and melon scents and flavors accented with clay and stone elements. Mouth filling, mellow, light on the palate but quite intense and, perhaps best of all, an extraordinarily persistent finish. Genuinely superb!

Went as well with cauliflower casserole as with grilled tuna; an eye-opening experience.

See. :laugh:

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero