• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

evan williams SB vs. van winkle 12 yr

alphaiii

I was looking to pick up a bottle of good bourbon and I can't decide between the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage or Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year. The Evan is a little cheaper, but I've heard such good things about the Van Winkle that I'm stuck.

I was really impressed with the Evan Williams 1783, which is only $10 (mainly for that reason), so I imagine the single barrel is a very good bourbon for the price also. It did get very good reviews from Paul Pacult and from AlcoholReviews.com.

Which would you recommend? If there are any others you'd pick over either of these, which is still in the $25-30 price range, feel free to suggest those too.

Kathy, that's a cost question only you can answer. There's nothing other than the price that would rule out Blantons for mixing.

I've occasionally used Bookers in a cocktail, and that sells for around the same price as Blantons. But Bookers has some natural advantages for certain cocktails due to its intensity of flavor and high proof. I wouldn't use Bookers often in a cocktail, I use it sparingly and only in cocktails where I think it will make a big difference. Similarly, I have a few bottles of fancy rye I only use for Sazeracs, whereas I use Old Overholt and Wild Turkey Rye (both very good products all on their own, but significantly less expensive than, e.g., Michter's).

So... would Blantons be good in a Manhattan? I'm sure it would. But I wouldn't use it to make a Whiskey Sour.

--

I was looking to pick up a bottle of good bourbon and I can't decide between the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage or Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year.  The Evan is a little cheaper, but I've heard such good things about the Van Winkle that I'm stuck. 

I was really impressed with the Evan Williams 1783, which is only $10 (mainly for that reason), so I imagine the single barrel is a very good bourbon for the price also.  It did get very good reviews from Paul Pacult and from AlcoholReviews.com. 

Which would you recommend?  If there are any others you'd pick over either of these, which is still in the $25-30 price range, feel free to suggest those too.

Alphaiii:

The Eagle Rare Single Barrel is $19.99 in PA and is an excellent value at that price. It's in the regular stores and the code number is 6017. You can use the PLCB website's groovy new search mechanism HERE to locate a bottle near you.

Either the Evan Williams or the Van Winkle are good products, but I find the Van Winkle bourbons to be a bit more artisinal. The Evan Williams is a great buy.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

van winkle, all the way. I like both, but i have to say that each van winkle has its own unique flavor profile, whereas Evan Williams, be it green, black, SB or some other type, all taste like, well, Evan Williams.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

Alphaiii:

The Eagle Rare Single Barrel is $19.99 in PA and is an excellent value at that price.  It's in the regular stores and the code number is 6017.  You can use the PLCB website's groovy new search mechanism HERE to locate a bottle near you.

Either the Evan Williams or the Van Winkle are good products, but I find the Van Winkle bourbons to be a bit more artisinal.  The Evan Williams is a great buy.

Taking into consideration that I'm still a beginner when it comes to bourbons, is there one you'd recommend over another? Is there one you'd say is softer or more beginner friendly when compared to the others?

van winkle, all the way.  I like both, but i have to say that each van winkle has its own unique flavor profile, whereas Evan Williams, be it green, black, SB or some other type, all taste like, well, Evan Williams.

Interestingly enough, I don't like Evan Williams black label at all, but I do like the 1783 10 yr, which is even cheaper, although harder to find. I do only use it for mixing, but it is better than any other bourbon I've tried, except for Woodford Reserve, which is probably the only bourbon I've tried that I would drink straight.

I went with the Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Yr. This is by far the smoothest bourbon I've ever had - so smooth I've been drinking it neat.

I am by no means qualified to give a detailed review, and I really couldnt tell you what I am tasting. But I can say that, to me, this bourbon has a good pronounced flavor without being overpowered by oak, and it has a smooth but long, warm finish that is really impressive.

To date, the only other fairly expensive bourbon I've tried is Woodford Reserve, and while it's good (probably the only other bourbon I've tried that I can drink straight), the Van Winkle blows it away.

I plan to pick up a bottle of the Eagle Rare Single Barrel next, probably next month or so. Hopefully it won't disappoint.