• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Croque Monsieur/Madame

Priscilla

Does anyone else make these at home?  They're a staple in my house, and the deconstructed ingredients would form the basis of any Essentials list I might assemble.

But ah, what ARE the ingredients.  Bread, yes.  Cheese, yes.  Butter, yes.  Ham or chicken, yes.  But after that, the deluge.  Bechamel?  Mustard?  And WHAT ABOUT Madame, is it chicken (instead of ham) or an egg (in addition to ham) that makes it Madame not Monsieur?

And then, technique.  Broiled, open-faced?  Oven-toasted, closed?  Dip the sandwich, as is occasionally suggested, in egg batter, getting close to what I know as a Monte Cristo (which has ham AND chicken, as well as cheese, inside).

I don't always make them the same way, certainly partly because Croque Monsieur is a late-night lifesaver and often subject to stock on hand.

Your thoughts, Hobson?

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Most Croque Monsiers I have had in France (Paris, Lyon, Cluny, Avignon, elsewhere as well) have had Bechamel as well as cheese/ham. The older recipes I have for them involve frying the bottom in butter, then grilling/broiling the top to melt and brown the gruyere, later recipes simply toast the bread then broil. Croque Madame is an evil blight that needs to be stamped at all cost and I like eggs! What's this talk of chicken?

Well, now this is the thing:  Croque Monsieurs I have had in France have, to a sandwich, NOT had bechamel!  (Made 'em last night here at home, avec, however--so see sometimes the Southern California ones DO, turns out.  Had the dread roast chicken on, rather than ham, too.)  No less French an authority than Monsieur Jacques Pepin indicates chicken for his Madame.  I recently saw a recipe from Nancy Silverton of Campanile and La Brea Bakery where she makes a full-on Mornay sauce which is then broiled, which sounds good, doesn't it?  And I think I remember some Patricia Wells citation somewheres in one of her books about a variation with a slice of tomato, which had its own name, too.  Will research.

Priscilla

Priscilla

Further, Adam, if it's not gruyere it's not a Croque Monsieur. Bechamel is optional. Mornay? Hmmm... But the bread must first be cooked in a pan on one side then that side layered with gruyere and ham (and perhaps bechamel). The sandwich is returned to the pan and put under a salamander or in the oven, the pan cooking one side, the salamander the other.

I do grilled cheese sandwiches in this way as well.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

... grilling/broiling the top to melt and brown the gruyere...

You did indeed, as above. But to reiterate: The "cheese" in a Croque Monsieur is gruyere. Othyerwise, it's a grilled cheese sandwich, with or without ham. :biggrin:  :biggrin:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Jinmyo, your method is obviously perfection, and, instanteous-like, was adopted by me as my method, too.  By your leave, that is.

But please everybody don't hate me if I sometimes use Emmenthal.

Priscilla

Priscilla

But please everybody don't hate me if I sometimes use Emmenthal.

Priscilla, hate you over cheese? I think not. Anyway, Emmenthal is fabulous. But then it's not a Croque Monsieur. Which is fine. Most things aren't. :wink:

Pie is not croque monsieur.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux, pie is not Croque Monsieur but Croque Monsieur is pie.