• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lychee Liquor

garistone

Unfortunately, fresh lychee season is coming to a close, so grab 'em while ewe can.

As for liqueurs, Joseph Cartron makes, in my not so humble opinion, the best lychee liqueur on the market. In fact, I think Cartron makes the best fruit liqueurs on the market bar none. Unfortunately, they are difficult to obtain retail and nigh on impossible in North America, so I fear ewe may have problems getting this in the islands.

Alternatively, Bols also makes a lychee liqueur. Given Bols market domination (God knows why), it should be relatively easy to pick up a bottle at most on-line retailers.

If ewe can't get either of these, ewe might want to try Kwai Feh - which is a pretty damn good liqueur from De Kuyper. Ewe can get it here:

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpde....php?prodid=832

Hope this helps. If ewe're looking for ideas of what to do with it, try a splash in a Caipirinhia made (specifically) with Germana Cachaça for some floral loveliness. Alternatively take an iced filled shaker and add:

a barspoon of crystalline ginger

40 ml lemongrass-infused gin

15 lychee liqueur and

10 ml fresh lime juice

and shake until ewer arms hurt. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and enjoy.

irony doesn't mean "kinda like iron".

• 1 month later...
Hi Members

Happy New Year! I am trying to find a liquor that is made from the Lychee fruit usually found in Asian countries.Any info would be helpful.

Well, there is Lychee Chiew, which should be easy to pick up in a Chinese grocery (and has pictures of Lychees on the bottles). Like a lot of Chinese alcohols, it's a little too sweet for my palate, with a musky taste. Still it's not so expensive and worth at least trying. Perhaps it could be used in place of vermouth for a lychee-tini or some such tasty abomination.

Lychee fruits are good in infusions. Don't skimp on the Lychee though - it's a subtle flavor and you really need a lot for the taste to come out. Fresh lychees aren't available in the US right now - I'll have to wait a few more months. But canned lychees are easily and cheaply available in Chinese markets. Canning lychees has a similar effect to canning pineapple - the end result is too strong and candied in flavor. However I suspect that might actually work to your advantage if you're making a liqueur out of it, or infusing rum. I was planning to give it a try anyway, I'll have to say how it works out.

I can almost guarantee you that fresh lychees are available in the US right now, you just have to know where to look. My being spoiled with my location, living in Toronto and working right down the street from one of the biggest 'china towns' in NA, I can get all sorts of exotic fruit.

I agree, the Soho brand is good, thats what we use in our Lychee martinis...mmm yummy.

I can almost guarantee you that fresh lychees are available in the US right now, you just have to know where to look.  My being spoiled with my location, living in Toronto and working right down the street from one of the biggest 'china towns' in NA, I can get all sorts of exotic fruit.

I'm jealous, lychees are my favorite. I live in San Francisco's much larger Chinatown, but haven't seen them yet. Maybe it has something to do with California's strict agricultural laws?