• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Cigare

Rebel Rose

Smoke is still wafting over our property on this very sad morning. We have just learned that the lovely Sycamore Farm herb store, which also contained an auxiliary Bonny Doon tasting room and office, has just suffered a serious fire. Apparently no one was hurt. Initial word is that it has burned to the ground. I sincerely hope it's not that bad, but as the whole building was pine and fir construction and panelling . . .

The owners' 1910 farmhouse sits right next to the store, along with some outbuildings and a small windmill, all reconstructed from an old photo of the property.

I know Bonny Doon does bangup business at this location, because it is located right on Highway 46 West, a major artery from the inland cities to the coastal towns. I worked there part-time (years ago when I was a single mom) and I can attest that this is one busy and happenin' place. The Farm also sponsors food and wine classes given by Patti Ballard, author of about 17 cookbooks, and a wine attendant for Bonny Doon.

Update edit: Eyewitnesses confirm it's burnt to the ground. Flames were 25 feet high when the firetrucks arrived. It's doubtful anything from the tasting room or wine area made it out.

Suggestions for a new Bonny Doon label will now be accepted. :sad:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook