• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme Brulee

suzz

I'm craving creme brulee. My best of the best is at Epernay in Montclair where they serve it in a shallow oval casserole that allows for a mouthful of crisp sugary topping in every bite. Any suggestions for other places to enjoy this decadent dessert?

If you want to serve it at home, I suggest picking one up at Patisserie St. Michel in Teaneck. In addition to classic vanilla, they can also be had in Pumpkin, Mango, Pistachio and other seasonal flavors. Best to call in advance to reserve or order your tarte. There is usually a few pieces available by the slice in the cabinet, and they are very generous with the tastings if you are having trouble deciding.

Click here for more about this shop.

If you want to serve it at home, I suggest picking one up at Patisserie St. Michel in Teaneck. In addition to classic vanilla, they can also be had in Pumpkin, Mango, Pistachio and other seasonal flavors. Best to call in advance to reserve or order your tarte. There is usually a few pieces available by the slice in the cabinet, and they are very generous with the tastings if you are having trouble deciding. 

Creme brulee is not a tarte but a custard baked in a shallow ramekin, after which a burnt sugar topping is added.

At Patisserie St. Michel, its served in a pastry shell crust instead of a ramekin. Specifically, its a Creme Brulee Tarte.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We also had a really good creme brulee recently (Pumpkin) at The Pasta Factory in Teaneck.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=56010

gallery_2_395_1101075862.jpg

Rachel and I actually fought over spoonfuls of this one.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host