• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vino da tavola

I'm enjoying this Q&A already, and I'd like to ask you perhaps a somewhat off-beat question. I spent parts of three summers in Siena and loved the fact that when I went to any old trattoria with a cheap menu', the vino da tavola would be a good Chianti, often gallo nero. The standard vini di tavola in Tuscany are far superior to wines that are sold by the glass in many restaurants in New York. So my question is: What city or town in Italy would tend to feature the best wines as vini da tavola in ordinary, inexpensive eateries?

Michael aka "Pan"

Ciao Michael

I think you'd find the best table wine outside the main cities, in wine growing regions. You'd be thrilled in Friuli, where there's a real cult of drinking wine by the glass. Check out Blasut, in Lavariano. Or, at the other end of the country, at Peppe Zullo in Orsara di Puglia--he makes his own wine from a rare grape, Tuccanese. The term vino da tavola is often used for wines outside the DOC regulation, so often some pretty pricy wines have that desgination on the label.

a presto

Faith

I'm enjoying this Q&A already, and I'd like to ask you perhaps a somewhat off-beat question. I spent parts of three summers in Siena and loved the fact that when I went to any old trattoria with a cheap menu', the vino da tavola would be a good Chianti, often gallo nero. The standard vini di tavola in Tuscany are far superior to wines that are sold by the glass in many restaurants in New York. So my question is: What city or town in Italy would tend to feature the best wines as vini da tavola in ordinary, inexpensive eateries?