• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plymouth "Navy Strength" Gin

slkinsey

I've been very interested in trying Plymouth Navy Strength Gin at 100 proof. This is, I am given to understand, the "real" original Plymouth and I think there are a number of cocktails that would benefit from this higher octane version.

Has anyone tried it? Is it available in America? Anyone seen it for sale in NYC?

--

Have tried it; is not available in America or in New York. Is 114 proof. Is good.

Telegraphically,

--DW

Edited by Splificator (log)

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Plymouth Gin 57% was the last gin and tonic my wife ever drunk and that was about 7 years ago.

Made her a nice strong one and then we jumped on our bikes and peddled as quickly as possible to the cinema. When she hopped off the bike she went temporarily blind (for about 2 minutes) and has never touched gin since.

Plymouth Gin 57% was the last gin and tonic my wife ever drunk and that was about 7 years ago.

Made her a nice strong one and then we jumped on our bikes and peddled as quickly as possible to the cinema. When she hopped off the bike she went temporarily blind (for about 2 minutes) and has never touched gin since.

Jeez, that's a scary story. I assume she also gave up cycling? And going to the cinema? Good thing you hadn't just eaten white truffles (imagine having to give those up). Or just had sex. Gawd, the mind boggles.