• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help needed! - ordering at Pinotcho

orangeblossom

Hi. I need some help. I was at Pinotcho at the Boqueria market, and was looking forward to a great meal there. However, bacause I don´t speak any Spanish, I ended up with what I think was their plate of the day - beef stew and potatos. While it was good, I was more envious of the people around me who seemed to be eating various little morsels of the day´s freshest produce.

Any advice on how to order? Thanks!

Amateur cook, professional foodie!

Welcome to eGullet!

My suggestion would be to see what looks good to you and then point to it when you are ordering or else just ask them for a few different dishes. I would also suggest checking out Bar Quim and Kiosk Universal both nearby in the Boqueria and both IMO preferential to Pinotxo. The same advice would apply although you can ask if they speak English.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks Doc!

Yes, in fact, I ate at El Quim on my very 1st trip to the Boqueria (thanks to comments on egullet!). I had the eggs with baby squids, and that was excellent! There were at least 3 sunny-side eggs and a huge mound of sauteed baby squids, and the bread was great for mopping up every last bit. And oh, btw, indeed, it was precisely because a number of people were having that (and it was breakfast!) that I ordered it :)

At Pinotcho, the people mostly seemed to be eating the plate of the day. It was only after I ordered that a new group got seats and proceeded to order the "menu degustation": the tapas-style daily specials. And I could only look on in envy :(

I passed by Kiosk Universal. It seemed a little touristy. What should i try there?

Thanks Doc!

Yes, in fact, I ate at El Quim on my very 1st trip to the Boqueria (thanks to comments on egullet!). I had the eggs with baby squids, and that was excellent! There were at least 3 sunny-side eggs and a huge mound of sauteed baby squids, and the bread was great for mopping up every last bit. And oh, btw, indeed, it was precisely because a number of people were having that (and it was breakfast!) that I ordered it :)

At Pinotcho, the people mostly seemed to be eating the plate of the day. It was only after I ordered that a new group got seats and proceeded to order the "menu degustation": the tapas-style daily specials. And I could only look on in envy :(

I passed by Kiosk Universal. It seemed a little touristy. What should i try there?

It appears you are well on your way. If you are living in Barcelona now and have the time I would suggest trying everything that appeals to you and then some. Universal is excellent for simple grilled seafood. Their razor clams and fresh sardines are excellent, but I wouldn't stop there.

Enjoy Barcelona.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

At Pinotxo I looked at all the stuff I could see and pointed. You have to go with shellfish and other sea food there. It's fun for breakfast especially with a few glasses of Cava to jump-start your day.

Hehe, yup, i´ve been using the "point" method a lot! :biggrin:

Thanks!