• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian Wine

A Balic

In Japan, I buy Aussie wine because 1)I know (a little bit) more about it than European or American wine, and 2) at the price range I'm buying, I suspect that a $10.00 bottle of Australian wine will be better drinking than a $10.00 bottle of French wine.

Without wanting to start a fight, I think this holds true in America, too. I buy mostly Aussie, and other Southern Hemisphere, wines partly because I admit I remain relatively ignorant about the Northern Hemisphere and its classic offerings, and partly because what I have explored around my usual $15-$25 price point so far hasn't held a candle to the values I can find down South, even given recent currency fluctuations. I'm not saying I don't enjoy, or won't consider, say, Burgundy, Barbera or California Cabernet -- it's just that, frankly, I feel I can do much better for everyday drinking by drawing from South America, South Africa, Oz and NZ, even given the relatively limited distribution of those countries' wines in the U.S. Plus, on special occasions, I like to chew on a really massive Barossa shiraz. So sue me.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.