• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC to Poughkeepsie

emilymarie

Had some interest in going to Escoffier Room at CIA this weekend, but want to give myself plenty of options (and was made nervous by some bad reviews I just read of the place).

What are some good ($60-75 per person) restaurants from NYC to Poughkeepsie? I really don't have any real parameters on myself, other than the above-quoted price. I can do red check clothes or swank white linens. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

:biggrin:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

The Would, in Highland, is terrific. And their chef/owner is CIA trained, so it's just like eating there! (But better...)

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Had some interest in going to Escoffier Room at CIA this weekend, but want to give myself plenty of options (and was made nervous by some bad reviews I just read of the place).

What are some good ($60-75 per person) restaurants from NYC to Poughkeepsie? I really don't have any real parameters on myself, other than the above-quoted price. I can do red check clothes or swank white linens. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

:biggrin:

You could try to hit Blue Hill at Stone Barns, which is on your way. It might even be worth a whole day. And then you won't have to actually go to Poughkeepsie!

But seriously, Poughkeepsie has some great Mexican food, if you end up not wanting a fancy dinner. Let me know if you're interesting and I'll post details.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Hi, I've been lurking in the forum for a year or more. Finally got around to posting. I love the area of the Lower Hudson Valley for food, hiking, and cultural events.

A couple of my favorite places are in Cold Spring.

http://www.hvgateway.com/CS25.HTM

Hudson House Inn 2 Main Street, Cold Spring NY, 10516, Telephone: (845)_265-9355 "A Country Inn" is located directly across from the Cold Spring Bandstand and it also enjoys breathtaking views of the river and the highlands. Enjoy seasonal dining on the veranda. Located at the very end of Main Street.

Le Bouchon 76 Main Street, Cold Spring NY, 10516, Telephone: (845)_265-7676 Lively continental and French cusine. Open 11am - 10pm

Le Bouchon had the best fois gras I have ever tasted. The chef at the Hudson House Inn is also a CIA graduate.

Mmm, thanks everyone. I ended up not getting up there this Sunday but will definitely keep your recs for another Sunday.

And Jogoode, I'd be even more interested in hearing about some great Mexican joints in Westchester (if you have any info.), specifically in the White Plains/Harrison/Portchester area. Have stopped in at just a couple of the places on the main drag in Portchester (nearby Pat's, if I recall) and had some sort of a steak, eggs, and plantain platter that was greasy as hell but delicious! Off topic, but if you have any details, please share.

Thanks! :biggrin:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Mmm, thanks everyone. I ended up not getting up there this Sunday but will definitely keep your recs for another Sunday.

And Jogoode, I'd be even more interested in hearing about some great Mexican joints in Westchester (if you have any info.), specifically in the White Plains/Harrison/Portchester area. Have stopped in at just a couple of the places on the main drag in Portchester (nearby Pat's, if I recall) and had some sort of a steak, eggs, and plantain platter that was greasy as hell but delicious! Off topic, but if you have any details, please share.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Sorry, emilymarie. I only know the Mexican food in Poughkeepsie, and I haven't eaten there in a few years. But if you plan to be in Poky, PM me and I'll tell you what I've got.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

• 4 months later...