• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Belmont Tavern

tommy

Had dinner at Belmont on Friday night. I loved the place, which smelled like my dear great aunt's house (a combination of garlic, gravy, and cigarette smoke) and even looked like it--wood paneling and all. We were the only people there under 30 and without a whole can of hairspray in our hair. I thought it was all very fun!

Had the clams oreganato and sauteed hot peppers to start. Peppers weren't hot enough and I would have loved it if they threw some vinegar peppers in there. But both tasty. For dinner, cavatelli with pot cheese and chicken murphy. Both very good. Cavatelli was nice and al dente and though I don't know what pot cheese is it tasted like cavatelli with ricotta. Chicken murphy was really tasty, though I wish I was one of the lucky few who got some potatoes thrown in.

Some naysayers who I was telling about my dinner seemed to turn up their noses at the place. They asked if the food was greasy. Yes, it is, but it's old school Italian American, just like my grandmother still makes today! I will go back.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

emily, "pot cheese" is ricotta in italian-american speak. 

well, at least my tastebuds were right on target. good to know! and, like i said, i was smiling the whole time. the place is a hoot (yes, i just said, hoot!). :shock:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Some naysayers who I was telling about my dinner seemed to turn up their noses at the place. They asked if the food was greasy. Yes, it is, but it's old school Italian American, just like my grandmother still makes today! I will go back.

Down home, old-school NJ Italian cooking. It's not upscale, but it's a great place to grab a delicious, affordable dinner.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 1 year later...

I swung by last night on my way home from the office and I immediately felt at home. Three gents at the bar who looked as though they might has well have been part of the furniture, combined with the look I got from the bartender as someone he clearly didn't recognize, made me feel right at home. I tended bar in an upper west side nyc saloon for years; it was a look I identified with right off the bat.

Didn't eat anything but did take a quick look at the menu. We'll definitely go back, especially since it's only about a five minute ride down Bloomfield Ave from the house.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Don't know how long it's been there, but I noticed Friday that at the near end of the bar, by the jukebox, the Belmont has a sort of 10 commandments of service. Pretty funny to read, and I should have copied them down--in addition to the promise of serving safe, clean food, etc. there were a bunch of items promising to not be confrontational, listen to customers and to respect people's dietary wishes. And, you know, to be fair, the staff is a lot less surly than they used to be, thinking back say seven or eight years. They're busy and it's crowded, but they're not that unpleasant.

FWIW Tommy the Crispy Chicken on the Bone is available at stretch's in Livingston and it is delicious!

I haven't been back to the Belmont tavern in a few years but I will definitely go once the smoking ban goes into effect on April 15th. I refused to go back to the Belmont tavern because it was like eating in a frickin ashtray!

Jeff

Edited by alembic54 (log)

I was at the Belmont Tavern last night. My SIL asked one of the guys who is there -- I think the name was Jimmy -- what they are going to do when the smoking ban goes into effect.

He said that they are going to comply because they can be reported if they don't.