• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scallops with Roe & Quenelles

TarteTatin

We'll be in Paris for a quick week Nov 4-Nov 10.

Every time I go, I look for scallops with lots of roe.

You can't get it in the States!

Anyone know where we can get the freshest (not frozen) scallops with roe?

Also, on a different note, I love good Quenelles. Where to go for the best?

I know they are old fashioned, but love them....

Philly Francophiles

all the scallops i've eaten in paris have had the roe intact. my understanding is that it is an instant indicator of freshness, as it is so perishable, more so even than the scallop itself. i'd be interested to know if this is not your experience.(not the freshness, but the presence.) maybe i've just been lucky in dining, because i adore scallops, and the roe, which we very rarely see here.

bon appetit et bon voyage!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

When you order scallops in a French restaurant, do ask in advance: "Est-ce qu'elles ont le corail s'il vous plaît ?" You've got to be careful, for there is a new trend concerning roeless scallops. I don't understand why. But I was appalled, recently, to read in Gault-Millau Magazine a list of things they wished would disappear from restaurants, and amongst them was "scallops with roe". What's the idea? Quelle mouche les pique ? But there you are. Be vigilant. Since the late 80's when they made overchilled red wines trendy, personally, I've been vigilant.

You've got to be careful, for there is a new trend concerning roeless scallops. I don't understand why. But I was appalled

Good point. My wife who is a scallop freak noted the same trend; eg having corail last season but not last week at the Fables for instance.

The best quenelles I've had recently were at Les Ormes; coordinates & details in one of my posts (they've moved from the 16th to the old Bellecour space in the 7th).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Sorry folks, but as far as I'm concerned corail just doesn't have that much taste -- I cooked some great saint-jacques last week, tasted the roe (once again), and eventually left it.

And as far as quenelles are concerned, John's right about les Ormes. I'd also add Les Lyonnais, Alain Ducasse's upper-scale bistrot in the 2nd. And what about Moissonnier, in the 5th? Anyone been, recently?

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

Well, not liking corail is one thing, not contributing to its total disappearance from restaurants is another. Personally I fight the empoverishment of scallops, even if it means pushing the roe on the side of the plate for those who don't like it.

I think corail provides an interesting contrast of textures. Not so much when the scallop is plainly broiled or pan-fried as is usually the case in our modern times. But in scallops gratinées à la normande (especially according to my grandmother's recipe :raz: ), or in any dish including a cream sauce, there has to be scallop roe, or the scallop is naked.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

And as far as quenelles are concerned, John's right about les Ormes. I'd also add Les Lyonnais, Alain Ducasse's upper-scale bistrot in the 2nd. And what about Moissonnier, in the 5th? Anyone been, recently?

Not since M. and Mme Moissonnier left the place, so: not recently at all!

Have you tried the quenelle-and-soup place (on rue Princesse) I forgot the name of?

With or without the roe scallops should be eaten in their shell. They are much fresher, firmer and tasty that way.(Asians and Galicians have it right). My experience in Europe is that to have best scallops one should in general avoid 2 and 3 stars. They are simply afraid that their clientele will be put off by seeing the shell.

The one star Violon d'Ingres prepares scallops in their shell and roe attached with salted butter. Very good. They also have a nice caramelized pied de porc dish. Otherwise, the restaurant may have lost some passion.

There are quite a few kindred spirits here. What "pique" Gault-Millau looks like they want to increase the trend for the internationalisation of cuisine. I have stopped reading them long ago.... and 20/20 for Veyrat, I thought, was a bad joke.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, we didn't have scallops with roe; (although we went to some markets and saw the most beautiful scallop shells-wish we could buy similar in the states. Not a chance)

Anyway, we had the best quennelles I've ever had!

Seriously, I've had a few! They are either too rich or too floury or whatever.

Believe it or not, I know its touristy, but Chez Jenny had the best I've ever had!

Light, tasty quennelles de brochet with a bit of sauce but not too much, not too thick,

it was over risotto with crevettes. Just wonderful.

Edited by casting@philacast.com (log)

Philly Francophiles